Wednesday, March 9, 2022

Repeating the Lesson

There are some things that happen in a day that make it into my note, and then I don't think of them again. 

A couple weeks ago, I covered a middle school beginning band class. They were doing sectionals.

The class didn't make the blog. They were loud, but that's to be expected of kiddos playing musical instruments. There was no story there. 

At clean up time, several of them did not clean out their horns. I did years in school bands (oboe), so I know the importance of instrument maintenance. 

When one blows into a wind instrument, spit happens. Brass instruments have "spit valves". In woodwinds, liquids can accumulate, so we learn early to wipe them out after each use. It doesn't take long, and it prevents bigger problems down the road. 

I asked why they weren't cleaning out their horns. They said they don't. 

I made a note of this in the note to their teacher. And I promptly forgot about it. 

Thursday. Seventh grade science. Fourth period. 

"You snitched on us." 

I was innocently walking the room when Quinn made this pronouncement. I needed more information. He said I had told his teacher that the class didn't clean out their instruments. Then I remembered. 

Apparently, their teacher had talked to them about this. As she probably needed to (hence why I left it in the note). It didn't sound like they got into any trouble, so I'm not sure why the upset. 

I mean, I did explain how not cleaning out one's horn after practice was a bad habit to get into. But I know students tend not to pay attention to things subs say. They didn't seem to believe me. Perhaps hearing it repeated by their teacher may have helped to drive the lesson home.

Probably not, though. I mean, Quinn was upset enough to call me out on it the next time he saw me.

18 comments:

  1. The word 'snitch' is still in use, I see. I played flute, so I, too, remember the importance of cleaning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I don't know why they think I "snitch". I'm an adult employee of the district. My "side" is that of the staff. The whole "snitch" thing is as if they think I'm one of them. *rolls eyes*

      Delete
  2. I mean, you're a teacher. Of course you're going to snitch. What do they expect?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to maintain an instrument should be taught before they learn how to play it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. They knew. They just weren't interested in doing it, hence why I let their teacher knew they weren't.

      Delete
  4. Instrument maintenance is really important. One gr-daughter plays clarinet, replaces reeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And reeds and mouthpieces are a whole other ballgame. They're way more important to keep clean.

      Delete
  5. I played viola for a short time, and I remember how important it was to use the rosin on the bow. These kids needed a reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did. They were rather proud of not keeping their instruments clean.

      Delete
  6. The kiddos needed that reminder and good that you "told" on them. Calling you a snitch - some things never change, but I'm a bit amazed that word is still in use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I laugh when they say things like that. Do they really think I'm not going to say anything? Of course, these 7th graders don't really know me yet. They'll learn.

      Delete
  7. This brings back bad memories when I was in grade 11 and took music. The girls above me emptied their spit onto my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I heard of stuff like that happening. Some people just suck.

      Delete
  8. He must’ve had a lot of buildup to clean, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The brass and woodwinds are thankful that someone cares.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I once saw a clarinet player with a reed so broken and chipped I was surprised he could even get a note out of it. He insisted his school music teacher said it was fine. I told his Mum (I was giving him a private lesson) and never saw the child for a lesson again, lol.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.