Friday, March 11, 2022

Hungry

Remember Doris

It was Friday. At lunch, Doris asked for more. She was given a second lunch. (They order extra lunches generally, so we had a second lunch to give her.) 

After lunch (about an hour later), we were all sitting in the classroom when Doris came in. 

Doris technically has a desk in the classroom, but she doesn't use it. She sits outside all day. One day it was rainy and cold. We brought her inside. She remained for a couple minutes, and then went back outside. 

Doris was asking for "more" again. But, alas, we didn't have any more food to give her. 

But Doris insisted. She wanted to look. So, Keyla let her look.

Doris went into the fridge. There were cartons of milk and juice (which we would have given her if she wanted, but she generally drinks water). And then Doris found something, and she insisted that she be given it. 

Baking soda. 

Keyla explained that baking soda wasn't food. Doris didn't believe her. So, Keyla opened the box and let Doris sample it. 

And that's when Doris had a meltdown. 

Doris screamed and pounded her feet. I think one of the instructional aides (likely Keyla) got hit. They managed to move her outside where she continued to scream and stomp on anything she could. 

The aides got everyone away from her. We all backed off. 

And then Doris lay down on the pavement and went to sleep. 

Those temper tantrums can be exhausting. 

(Her family sends food from home. The school provides lunches. But Doris has an appetite, and sometimes she wants more food than they have to give her. We do what we can.)

31 comments:

  1. Eek, baking soda. Not everything in the fridge is food!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. She's not the most exhausting of the class, though.

      Delete
  3. I feel for Doris and for the teachers of Doris’s.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel for Doris, her teachers/aides, her parents, and - most of all - her siblings. Especially when she ages out of school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, she is an adult now. She's only got a couple years until she's 22. (I'll have to look. I'm not sure how old she is off the top of my head.)

      Delete
    2. I can't imagine her future being bright. :( Thank you for doing what you can.

      Delete
    3. It's a life. I wonder what lessons she's here to learn.

      Delete
    4. That's a good question. Perhaps keeping her in school just gives her family a brief daytime respite.

      Delete
    5. We're pretty much daycare for the students. We know this.

      Delete
    6. I think it is still important for the kids to have some socialization. That alone can be worth it.

      Delete
  5. Ugh, that does taste terrible. But it might be a good lesson for her that not everything is food.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder what she thought it was? How difficult for all involved. I like Alana's comment about siblings (if any), and how hard it must be, and have been when children. A lot of time spent on Doris out of necessity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm guessing she thought it was her Cheetos. They come in an orange bag, and that's usually what she's seeking out.

      Delete
  7. What a disappointment for her! I don't know what she thought it was either, maybe sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would want to be outa there for sure. I could not handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I... Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm sure I'm here for a reason. I just don't know what that reason happens to be.

      Delete
  9. That is a difficult class to teach, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Liz - so difficult ... but interesting for us to know about and understand. Thanks for story - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like a challenging class to teach!

    Happy Sunday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for sharing.
    I invite you to visit my last post. Have a good week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bless her heart. Those meltdowns can be a challenge for the child and the people around her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. How sad for Doris.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. I feel empathy for Doris and those help responsible for her care. It's a challenge and I hope that at some point Doris finds a less troubling way to express her frustrations. So thankful for all competent staff who work with individuals with cognitive, mental, physical, and emotional impairments.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can't imagine how gross it would be to eat baking soda1 Yuck!

    You and your coworkers must be some of the most patient people in the world. I don't think I could handle that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aides do all the heavy lifting. I couldn't do any of this without them.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.