Thursday, October 28, 2021

All Accounted For

I was informed that it was the Great California ShakeOut day when I arrived at school on Thursday. I immediately flashed to last year's drill. At least this year I actually had an in-person class to conduct it with. 

As I had no wheelchair-bound students in this group, we were all able to get under the desks for the required minute. And then we evacuated to the parking lot, which wasn't too far from the classroom. (Being at a very small school helps.) 

For the first time, I didn't bother to bring out the class roster with me. We are required to take roll to make sure all our students are accounted for. As I had five students to keep track of, I figured I could easily do that in my head. 

We got to our area, and I ran through the class roster. All five students were there. 

That's when the school's secretary came up to me requesting the class roster. 

Um... Every other school does not specifically ask for a roster. At the larger schools, they have us hold up a green card to indicate we have all our kiddos. (Or a red card if we do not.) So, it didn't occur to me to bring it out. 

I mean, I could articulate that every student was there (and list them by name). And ultimately that was accepted. (They didn't tell me that I'd need to turn in a paper.) 

Just when I thought I'd get through a drill unscathed...

7 comments:

  1. Nothing like bureaucracy. (Also, first I've heard of the Shakeout drills.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have the ShakeOut drills every year. We have to be prepared for The Big One.

      Delete
  2. What is a shakeout? I know students and teachers walked out on Monday to protest, but what is a shakeout?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Statewide earthquake drill. We pretend to have an earthquake at 10:21 AM and then evacuate. Similar to a fire drill, only this time we had to do duck and cover first.

      Delete
  3. Sticking to rules and protocols can sometimes be a hassle, in cases like this!
    Never knew about shakeout. Sounds like a good prep drill. Here, every institution is supposed to do such a drill for fire, but it just remains on paper. No one bothers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How shocking that fire drills are ignored in India. We used to have them at work because of the chemical fires that can (and did) sometimes happen. I'm sorry you had yet another minor stress.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.