Monday, October 18, 2021

Missing an Eye

I'm rather pleased with my octopus progress this week. 

The tentacles and suckers have been attached. 

This is almost done. 

I would have been completely done by now, but on Friday I got derailed. 

Back on hat #1, I had a genius idea. All three hats would need a pair of eyes, so I figured I could make all six eyes at the same time. That way, when it came time to attach the eyes, I wouldn't have to stop to make the eyes first.

Friday night, I pulled out my remaining eyes (the first two having gone on hat #1), and I found I had three. 

I knew I should still have four. 

Now, I had enough eyes to complete this blue hat. But I should have another eye someplace. 

So, rather than attaching the eyes, I spent my time looking for eye #4. 

I did not find it. 

I tore everything apart. I have no idea where it could have gone. It's not with my projects. It hasn't fallen behind anything. It must have fallen into something, but for the life of me, I can't figure out what it could be.

Deep sigh. 

There's nothing for it. I'm going to have to remake that last eye.

But first, I can finish this hat. I should have it finished by next week.

(The pattern for it is here: Octopus Hat.) 

26 comments:

  1. Oh this is so cool. Bummer about the lost eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, how funny to imagine that eye being found by someone else! Maybe not possible in your case, but like if it fell in a bag of books or items to donate. Or, a box being sealed to mail off! So many fun scenarios where that eye could have an adventure! Can you picture someone opening a box and finding it? Wondering just where it came from, what it was, and why they have it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be funny. Alas, it wasn't near any sort of open box or something that was being donated or sent someplace. That's one place I can be sure it's not.

      Delete
  3. Sorry you lost one! Hope it's not a problem to remake.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love this one in blue! Sorry about the missing eye, not fun to not find it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. The eye got lost in the same place my mom's keys went. It will never be found again either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah. It's just the embroidery (which I'm terrible at) that I didn't want to have to redo. (I've already made the white part.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful and I like the blue! It's frustrating you will have to make the eye again - as soon as you have you know the missing one will turn up, that's always the way it works, haha!

    Hope you are having a lovely start to your week :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  8. So annoying to lose that eye. What Mica said is true.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a fun hat.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this hat for so many reasons. Bummer about the eye. I hope it isn't complicated to make.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great you are making so much progress. Too bad you are missing one eye, but at least you can remake it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A fun looking hat. It's looking good. I admit to liking the blue version better than my memory of the first of these hats you made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next you'll get to compare it to red. (I'll post all together when I finish them, I think.)

      Delete
  13. When I first saw the title, I thought you were going to write about Peter Falk or Sammy Davis, Jr.
    Yeah, that's probably in poor taste.
    Sorry, but I sometimes do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely in poor taste, but I chuckled a little. A very little.

      Delete
  14. Hi Liz - the hat is brilliant ... and will be so much fun to wear - lucky person who's receiving it. The 'eyes' have it ... nearly done though - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  15. You'll find the eye after everything is done. I'm liking the hat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the same thing. ~sigh~ My lost items often turn up after I've bought a replacement. The hat is looking awesome!

      Delete
    2. Yup, it will, I'm sure. I found a ball of yarn stuck behind some mailing boxes two days ago. It's too much of a hassle to pull out those mailing boxes on school nights, so I won't attempt it until the weekend. I have a feeling I'm going to find it there.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.