Friday, October 8, 2021

Disputed Tech Deck

I may have mentioned once or twice that there's a bit of a sub shortage at the moment. So, when I didn't have an assignment for Friday (on Thursday), I called the sub caller to see what was up. She told me it was going to be another day of her scrambling to cover as many classes as she could, and that I'd have to cover an elementary class. 

Ugh. 

Because elementary schools don't have teachers with prep time who can cover classes, they have to get covered by subs first. The subbing situation has gotten so bad that they don't have enough bodies to just get those classes covered some days.

But, she wasn't pulling me at the last minute (when I was starting a long term assignment someplace), so I resigned myself to doing what needed to be done. And she gave me sixth grade, so not too much of a difference from seventh grade.

How short were they subs this day? A class across from mine was also out a teacher, and the only person they could get to sub that class was the school's principal. 

All in all, it was a pretty mellow day. The kiddos had tests all day. I was covering the English portion (but the math and science classes had tests, too). The sixth graders rotated through the classes. 

When the second group came in, one boy immediately caught my attention. He couldn't sit still, had to go back to his homeroom to retrieve the book (the test was open book), and then returned without the book. He pretended to stutter, and then he proceeded to speak without that stutter for the rest of the time. 

While he was out of the room, I asked another student his name. Cannon. 

Cannon returned from a restroom break. As he was walking to his desk, he threw his Tech Deck at another student. 

A Tech Deck is a miniature skateboard made to be scooted about using one's fingers. It's pictured above with a pencil for size comparison. They've been around since the time I worked at the evil toy store (now defunct). That's over 20 years ago now.

I asked the student to hand the Tech Deck to me. I placed it on the teacher's desk. 

Cannon came up to me to ask for something, only he spotted the Tech Deck. 

"That's mine."

Yup. I was aware. 

"Can I have it back?" 

He was not happy with my answer. When he asked why, I asked him why he had thrown it at his classmate. 

But he hadn't thrown it at anyone, he protested. It had just fallen out of his pocket. 

Yeah, it fell out so violently that it bounced off a desk and made a clatter. 

I didn't get into the argument over whether or not he had thrown it. I informed Cannon he could have the toy back... from his teacher upon her return on Monday. 

I like to employ this trick over disputed property. If the kiddos want to get into an argument with me over what was or was not done, they can take it up with an adult who is more familiar with them. And they can explain why there's a toy on the teacher's desk when the toy shouldn't have been at school (or at least out of the backpack) in the first place. 

Cannon tried to get the Tech Deck back from me a couple more times. He did not succeed.

18 comments:

  1. Sub shortage, not sure about out there but there seems to be a shortage in a lot of areas. Its crazy. Getting folks to work after COVID has been a joke. Was at Wally World last night and as always, shelves bare in so many areas. Then I was talking to the guy checking buggies as folks left. We were talking about the prices having gone up so much....said its due to people stealing. People are basically walking out with everything. My thoughts, hire security.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but hiring security is expensive. You'd think it would be cheaper than shrinkage, but corporate minds don't think like that.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know those little skateboards were still around! My youngest are 26 and 28, so they had them. My oldest will be 40 this year, and that makes me older than I like to remember!
    Like Pam says, there are staff shortages everywhere. Stores are open fewer hours too. The McDonald's here has signs they are hiring 14 year olds! And there's a wage war to get anybody, $15 and $16 for fast food.
    Security? They'd rather just write losses off. Oh, Pam? You don't have to let them check your cart or receipt. Just shake your head or tell them "No thanks" if they ask. I usually just smile and keep walking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wage wars are great for workers. I'm all for them.

      Delete
  3. I like your way of dealing with the toy. Also, I'm sort of blown away that a principal had to cover a class. That's when you know teacher/sub shortages are bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yea. I read about this happening (in an article I linked to a couple weeks ago), but I hadn't seen it for myself.

      Delete
  4. Most classes always have one of those kids in there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sub shortages here, too. And that’s not all. Drew is certified in special Ed, he’s a permanent sub, but they have him working as … get this …. A one-on-one teachers aide. He working one on one with a kid but has not been given the kid’s IEP or any other info. A kid who sleeps through classes, runs to his guidance counselor every day without obtaining a pass to avoid going to class, and when Drew took away his computer because he was supposed to be doing a science lab, the kid took someone else’s computer. Drew had to confiscate that one as well. The school psychologist is very much involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my. Can't say that I'm surprised, though. The kid sounds like he belongs in an alternative placement, but that takes time and paperwork before it happens.

      Delete
  6. What I heard there shortage in lot jobs. With covid I don't blame people, not want to work. There sign all over in my area, looking for employees.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Our roads (southern tier of New York State) are lined with help wanted signs in front of nearly every business. We have teacher shortages and a bad school bus driver shortage, too. On another note, my cousin who was a school psychologist at a private school for special needs in Massachusetts got so burned out she quit and moved back to Brooklyn (where she grew up). The demands they were putting on her (staff shortages and other issues) were incredible, and I know only a little of the story. I'm so grateful I've been spared that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know exactly what she means. Teachers are so tired of covering extra classes around here, but are they increasing sub pay in my district? They may soon find the shortage increasing... (I'm debating whether or not to go to a neighboring district that's just upped their pay considerably.)

      Delete
  8. It's a shame there is such a shortage of teachers - I hope things improve!

    It made me smile this story because I remember those little skateboards! I didn't know they were still a thing!

    Hope you are having a lovely weekend :) We have had a fun one with a couple of events.

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every time I think the skateboards have disappeared, they show up again.

      Delete
  9. This is great example for all of them that you made decision and don't change it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what happens if I don't stick by my decisions. It doesn't turn out well.

      Delete
  10. Glad to see you handled the toy issue very deftly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We don't have enough subs where I live so the kids are often split up into other classes who have teachers (in primary school).

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.