Thursday, March 6, 2008

Tech Decks

I have alluded to these in the past, but I haven't really discussed the Tech Deck phenomena.

These toys, sometimes referred to as fingerboards, are all the rage. The middle schoolers can't seem to get enough of them. They were popular 'round about 2000, but then they all but disappeared. Now they are making a reappearance in the local schools.

They are little skateboards. The kids (usually boys) use their fingertips as feet and push the things along. They'll stack books so that the boards can sail off them. They try to do the sorts of tricks that professional skateboarders do, although on a smaller scale. They're interesting little toys.

They have no place in a classroom.

Tech Decks have a very distinctive cadence. I usually hear them before I see them.

So, today, there was this boy in the back row sort of hiding behind the girl in front of him. And I heard the tapping noise I associate with Tech Decks. Instead of going to him and confronting him, I decided to make sure that I didn't have to repeat the process later.

"I hear a Tech Deck. It's a good thing that I don't see it, for if I saw someone playing with a Tech Deck, I would have to confiscate it."

It was priceless. I could see the boy slowly slink down and carefully put his toy away. I had no more Tech Deck problems that period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.