Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Squeaky Shoes

My favorite pair of work shoes have started to squeak. They're black mules with a bit of heel to them. They're comfortable enough to walk or to stand around in all day. So, they may be a bit noisy, but I still wear them.

Today was a testing day. The CAHSEE. And I got to administer the test to 12 very nice students at the continuation high school. I say that the students were nice because they took the test seriously, did not argue with me, and were silent for the testing session. If only my shoes had been as cooperative.

One of the duties of a test proctor is to circulate throughout the room. So, every so often I had to walk around, mainly to make sure that everything was going smoothly (no cheating, no sleeping, and the like). And every step I took was audible.

I toyed with the idea of just going barefoot. I don't think the administration would have approved of that, though.

So, I guess it's time to replace the shoes. Either that or resign myself to the idea that I've become the biggest distraction in the testing room.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.