Thursday, November 2, 2023

Can't Beat the View

Last Tuesday (the same day as yesterday's post) I was asked to cover a seventh period for intro to health careers. 

This is known as period subbing, and it happens all the time. In this case, the teacher had a training going on during the class period, so I covered his class.

When I got there, Mr. I was there. He explained to the class what they had to do before he left.

We had a few minutes (during the passing period) to chat. They had moved the class into the new STEAM building (I've mentioned the new building before), so I commented on the new digs. The room it's now in is much smaller than the room it used to be in. (I've covered this class a few times.) 

Mr. I said it felt like the students were on top of one another. But, on the positive side, you couldn't beat the view.

The room was on the second floor, over in a corner. If you enlarge the picture up top, you can see the windows at the back. There are windows on the side too.

It was a great view.

I could see the lunch area. The library. I could practically see out to the athletic fields. 

The class was kind of working on their modules. It was the last day of the rotation, so many were finished. (They spend a couple weeks in different health care fields, getting an intro to them. Then they switch and try out another. It's things like optometry, veterinary, EMT, dental, mental health, nursing, etc.)

So, I didn't have much to do with them. I just occasionally reminded them to get back to work. 

Mostly, I looked out the windows. 

Some days it's nice to have a great view.

16 comments:

  1. I rather hoped you'd mention a water feature of some sort; and it's probably no surprise to you. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With drought conditions and being on a high school campus, a water feature wouldn't work very well. It'd be cool, though.

      Delete
  2. That's nice. I thought you'd say you needed to remind the students to stop enjoying the view and do their work! Is this a class for those interested in health careers? The modules are so varied. If I wanted to be a vet I'd be unhappy learning about teeth!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they're used to the view by now.

      It's a science elective. I assume some of them are interested in health careers, so this is a way to explore what's there.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad these kids weren't too bad so you can enjoy the view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some classes are easier than others. Health careers is an easy day.

      Delete
  4. Yes, a great view is nice.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A good view at work is always a bonus!
    It's Friyay, you must be happy?
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a long week, but today should go more smoothly.

      Delete
  6. That is a very nice view. I could wish more offices had lots of window views - it really makes a difference. Can be distracting but also I think people are happier with good outside views.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the view outside is that distracting, the job isn't very interesting. At least, in my opinion. I can totally ignore the view when I'm busy.

      Delete
  7. Lovely view - when you have time to look out ... makes a change at times ... cheers Hilay

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.