Friday, October 6, 2023

Priorities

I finally got into the new building!

At one of the schools I work at, they just opened a new STEAM building. They started talking about this building at least a decade ago. They finally broke ground on it in 2018 or 2019. They tore down a couple wings of classrooms. It seemed like it took forever for them to tear down the old buildings. Then prepping the area took what seemed like a year. 

Anyway, they've been working on this thing for many years. I've watched the progress through the fencing that they put up. It was supposed to be done two years ago, then last year. 

It's finally open. It's been open since the beginning of this school year. And I was scheduled to cover a math class in the building on Thursday and Friday.

(This was my second time in the building. Last week I got to cover an art class, but there were other more interesting stories last week, so I didn't get a chance to write about it.)

Friday. Sixth period. Integrated math 2. (This is the sophomore-level math class that used to be geometry in the previous sequence. But now algebra and geometry are all mixed together in the integrated math sequence. Example: the day's topic was factoring quadradic equations, something that used to be in freshman algebra 1.)

They had a worksheet. As I know this topic is challenging when they first learn it, I was proactive in hovering over them, offering my assistance. And many students took me up on my offer. 

But not all of the students were in the mood to do work.

Aiden had taken a computer from the Chromecart and was attempting to set up the movie Avatar. (I don't know if it was the original or the sequel.) 

Mr. N had said they could listen to music while they were working. (If it's up to me, I let them listen to music while they're doing independent work, too. It helps some of them focus. More often than not, the students that have music on will be lost in their own little world, and they won't be stirring up trouble.) Is a movie like music? Can it be background? (I mean, it is for me. I love to have TV shows and movies playing while I knit.)

I was willing to give Aiden the benefit of the doubt. I warned him, though. He needed to be working, too.

But it turned out that the site Aiden went to for the movie was blocked by the school's internet. 

Aiden was determined to get that movie. He spent a good 20 minutes fighting with it until he found a site that would work.

Meanwhile, I was helping several students with the actual assignment.

Movie accomplished. I strolled back by Aiden's seat. Was he doing any work? (I think you already know that answer.)

I glanced meaningfully at his paper. I helped his neighbors who had questions. I made another circuit around the room.

Aiden was engrossed in the movie. (He told me that since it had taken him so much effort to get it, he was going to watch it.) 

He claimed he was working. Every time I happened by, he would mark something on his page. Too bad that I remembered where he was when I was there last, and nothing had been added while I was gone.

Well, I had warned him. I told him that if he didn't get the work done, his name went in the note to the teacher. (His eyes widened when I said that.) 

I didn't warn him again.

Why anyone would waste time in class and then be stuck with homework over the weekend escapes me. Teenage logic, I guess.

23 comments:

  1. So, he decided he'd watch it? Like you had nothing to say about it? Funny. One class for algebra and geometry? How is that working out? I had such problems with geometry, I can't imagine it not being an entire year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't listen to me. This is why I leave names for their teacher.

      It's not as simple as that. IM1 and IM2 (two years) cover algebra and geometry, just not in the sequence we learned it. They get quadratics in 10th grade rather than 9th. They do a lot of geometry in 9th instead of 10th.

      Delete
  2. Teenage logic, they focus on the present and don’t always see the future, so they don’t appreciate the consequences

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And no matter how much I emphasize that future them won't appreciate the choices of present them, they still make bad choices.

      Delete
  3. I bet teaching can seem like herding cats at times. >^..^<

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure he's not going to do the homework either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. You are the 6th person I have commented on. Another year and another groups of challenges. New bldg!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. ~shakes head~ Music aids me a lot of times, weather writing fiction or just cleaning. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. I meant whether. Maybe this chilly October afternoon has gotten the best of me.

      Delete
    2. You're not alone. So many people do better with a bit of background music. And that's cool.

      Delete
  7. I could never do school or class work while listening to music, not that we were ever allowed to listen to music in a non music class back when. (I can't listen to music when I work at my paying job and work, either). But that's just me. As for trying to fool the teacher -that will go on forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, music distracts me, too. I can't focus. Just noise, I can usually tune out. But music? It bothers me.

      Delete
  8. I glanced meaningfully at his paper. ---that line cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Teen age logic, makes me laugh; as I don't think they have any. Way back in the dark ages we had the separate classes, Algebra first, then Geometry, then Algebra II. I did ok with Algebra, but LOVED geometry. They seem so very different to me, it's hard for me to think of them being combined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They make it work, somehow. I, too, was on the algebra, geometry, algebra 2 track. All the same topics are there, they're just jumbled up.

      Delete
    2. I'm so old that only computers the size of a small room existed when I was at school!

      Delete
    3. I'm a bit younger than you. I was able to type essays and print on a dot matrix printer in my junior year. But that was pre-internet.

      Delete
  10. You cannot watch a movie and work. I cannot even work with my phone in front of my anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can knit and watch a movie. I don't know if I'd try to do math.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.