Friday, October 27, 2023

Worst Class Period Ever

Thursday, third period.

Technically, the class was world geography, but the subject makes no difference. It was Great California ShakeOut Day, which I knew in advance (they talked about it on the news and I think I saw a school email about it), so it didn't take me by surprise as it has in other years

When I checked in that morning, the secretary mentioned the drill, and I nodded. I knew. Then she mentioned something about an assembly that I didn't need to worry about...

Only, I did. It turned out that Mr. L's third period class is freshmen. (In previous years he taught juniors and seniors. I did not know he had switched to freshmen.) And the freshmen were to go to the assembly third period...

...after the earthquake evacuation drill...

I mean, on the bright side, that meant that technically I didn't have to teach third period. 

Small victory. Especially considering that Mr. L's classes are traditionally not a problem. (He's very, very strict. My biggest issue generally in covering his classes is what to do to stay awake while they're diligently working on whatever busy work assignment he gave them--on this day it was researching six separate holidays celebrated in other countries.) 

We had two minutes in class before it was time for the drill. They ducked and covered. With minimal pushback. Then we evacuated. (Mr. L had helpfully drawn a map on the board so the kiddos knew where we were to meet outside.)

We had heat last week, so they complained of the hot sun. I pointed out that it was only 10 in the morning, and it would be hotter later. (They must complain while we wait to be dismissed from the drill. If it wasn't the heat, they'd find something else.)

When the all-clear bell rang, we headed directly for the gym. (The gym was closer to us than the classroom, so I had told them to go there rather than back to class.) 

And then it was time for the assembly. Yay?

(I do not like assemblies.)

I mean, as far as assemblies go, this one was fine. Rather than the usual sports thing with dancing and weird games (which I got to do the very next day at a different site for their Homecoming), they had a motivational speaker. And he was cool

But the benches in the gym are hard. And I'm technically on duty, making sure the kiddos are behaving. In a situation where they are more likely to goof off. 

Sigh.

At least he took until the bell, so when the assembly finished, it was time to go to the next period.

And I was quite happy to sit back and watch period five do busy work in the comfort of the classroom.

16 comments:

  1. Some days are like this in the educational sector. I had days I wished the teacher wouldn't come but they always almost never miss their lectures.

    My recent post: https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/20-stylish-fall-outfit-ideas.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad the assembly was at least more interesting. I absolutely despised 'pep rallies' as a student.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, at the Homecoming assembly the next day, I got to see twins crowned prince and princess of the (I think it was junior, but it might have been sophomore) class.

      Delete
  3. I recall being that age. A tough time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember a homecoming at my New York City high school. (I was there in the late 60's). I just looked and, sure enough, we have one now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The homecoming football game is an invitation to go back and visit.

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here Drills, aargh. Fortunately we staff were informed one was happening that day. Assemblies in elementary were pretty lame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a calendar. Teachers used to post it in their classrooms, so I'd note the dates. I haven't seen one lately, though. (Rule of thumb: minimum day, probably a drill.)

      Delete
  6. Sounds like there's some important information you need to do your job thats not being provided. That's got to be very stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oregon has some day of drills a few days before yours. I got emails and texts. I'm from CA, I know what to do and not do! I started duck and covering under desks in Kindergarten! We also hid under our coats in an alcove where they hung, in case of Russian attack. Not sure what that was expected to do.
    I wasn't a "pep" person in high school (or ever)! So, cheering and all was uncomfortable for me at those rallies. I did go to basketball games regularly with a friend though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they always do a scream thing. And they're never "loud enough". Sigh. My ears are ringing by the time we leave.

      Delete
  8. Well I heard we had the shake up here too, in the schools. The news has quieted down about the "imminent" Cascadia fault zone quake that will destroy half the state, thank goodness, but any slow news weeks and they'll be back at it. And yet we all still go to the beach and most of us are not joggers who could race to high ground, after the earthquake destroys the roads and buildings, vaulting as we go, all this debris, downed buildings and trees and hot electric wires, and make it to a 200 foot elevation before the tsumani takes us away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't worry about a tsunami. I'd only worry about a building falling down on me.

      Delete
  9. At least the rest of the periods were event free.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds hectic. I've never experienced an earthquake drill, obviously, but fire drills aren't usually fun for anyone.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.