Tuesday, October 17, 2023

Avoiding the Drama

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Since I've been having trouble coming up with "what if?" questions lately, I thought I'd pull one from some subbing drama going on around me. A fellow sub is currently seeking a full time gig, and one has popped up in the district. However, I know from another sub that sub #1 has alienated the teaching staff at that school. (A good portion of the teachers in the department hate them.)

I have not told the sub this. I don't think it would be helpful. But I've listened as they ranted about missing out on various opportunities (and how "loyalty" to the district is not being rewarded).

So, that's where this question came from:

What if you knew why your friend was having trouble in a specific situation, but you also knew that telling them would only make matters worse (or at least wouldn't help them)?

3 comments:

  1. I actually am in a similar predicament. Another blogger friend buys products that ship directly from China. While trying my best to avoid purchasing Chinese products (no easy feat), I don't want to dampen her fun and make her feel bad. ~sigh~ In this particular case, I might try finding a diplomatic way to allude to the issue. How, I have no idea. Best of luck to your fellow sub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would depend on my level of friendship. This would be a tough one for me. I'd have to be really close to this sub (not just a casual work friend, but an outside-the-job friend who knows the person really well) to give the opinion - and only if I knew they wouldn't just take it personally or blow it off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If it’s not helping I will keep my mouth shut

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.