Thursday, October 19, 2023

The Photo Drama, Part 2

Wednesday. Photography, period 5.

Yeah, this was the same class I talked about yesterday. There's a part 2.

For students being out of class to take pictures, I had a very long warning about Calum. I didn't really get it until I realized I had met Calum before. 

A year ago, I was doing a long-term in Success Seminar. (Remember?) Calum was in that class. He had a tendency to wander. He would disappear from class for an hour sometimes. He always had an excuse. I got included in the email from his counselor about how she was to be looped in on his wanderings as it was something they were working on.

Calum had rules for going out and photographing. He had to have a buddy go along. (She was a specific student, and this was a normal thing.) 

Calum asked to go out in the second group. He got his buddy without my having to ask, and I checked him out per normal.

When the rest of the second group had returned, I took a look at the time. Calum wasn't due back. But I kept an eye on the time, and once it had been a half hour, Calum had still not returned.

Deep sigh.

Before I could call security, Kate popped in again. (This was when she was asking about Jerry's health office wanderings. See yesterday's post.) So, I informed her that Calum was due back. She had seen him, so she went and retrieved him.

Upon his return, Calum explained that he needed ten more minutes to get the rest of the photos he needed. (Somehow, everyone else managed to get their pictures in the time frame. I think this might be a Calum problem.) I told him he'd have to do that upon the teacher's return.

I was in this class for three days. (The teacher was at an Adobe conference. Photography has gone fully digital, so the conference was professional development.) I wrote two blog posts about the same period. 

Every teacher has that one class. This was hers. (The other classes went fairly uneventfully. Even Kate said this was the one class.)

8 comments:

  1. At least the problem photography students are all in the same class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that was helpful. I only had that one period to worry about.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. It is. And they've been working on it for two school years now.

      Delete
  3. Every time I read stories like this I'm reminded of a high school crush I've mentioned before. A diabetic, he got leave now and then to get something from the cafeteria vending machine and I'd get permission to accompany him (for safety's sake, of course). Our teacher had to know and let it slide as we were two of her best students. Ah, memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, Calum might have had a crush on the girl, but she was in no way interested in him :)

      Delete
  4. I'm guessing he wasn't doing much photographing out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. With a bit of luck, you won't have this class anymore? A lot of drama...

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.