Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Fixing the Past

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I've been watching Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. If you've seen the show, you'll know which episode this question references.

What if someone came to you asking you to help "fix" something in the past, but that something would erase your timeline? (I will specify that the "fix" would help the you in that new timeline, but that's the only thing I'll specify.)

11 comments:

  1. Nope. Not going to change the past. Don't care how much "good" it does in that timeline.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’ll repeat what Janeway said. Time travel gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm probably not adventurous enough and would worry it wouldn't really fix anything or would create new problems.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope. Nope. Nope. I've read too many cautionary tales about messing with timelines. It never ends well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw the Flash movie about multiverses. Going back always messes things up. No thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope…don’t mess with it…unless you are Sam Beckett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Life is a combination of all that is good and not so good. Let whatever happened in the past be as they are. Just as we can't choose what lies ahead of us, let's not choose what lies behind us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do like reading time travel but I wouldn't want to do it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.