Wednesday, October 25, 2023

It's All Arabic to Me

Eighth grade history. Tuesday.

Before school, I had borrowed one of the classroom's Chromebooks so I could take roll and such. I opened the computer, and I was greeted by a sign in screen written completely in Arabic. 

I mean, that's a new one. I'm used to the computers having the wrong keyboard enabled (so when a student attempts to type, the wrong letters pop up). It's an easy fix, which is perhaps why I haven't seen it recently. 

Before that, it was rotating the stuff on the monitor either to the side or completely upside down.

It's like the kiddos figure out how to do something, and then they leave the computer like that just to cause problems for the person that comes after. 

But it's not a huge issue. Mostly, the next kiddo to get the computer puts it away and gets another. I occasionally get a complaint, but I can fix those issues, so it takes no time to have the student up and running.

But how do you change the language on the computer? 

It was a problem I could deal with when I had some time, as I didn't right then, so I set the computer aside to deal with after I had started class. 

Once the kiddos were working on the day's assignment (they had textbook pages to read followed by workbook pages to answer questions on), I had time to focus on fixing the computer. 

There was no way to change the language on the sign in screen, so I went to sign in. The keyboard was in English, so I signed in easily.

And then the computer self-corrected, putting itself in English and giving me a dialog box with the option of switching it back to Arabic.

I did not switch it back to Arabic.

Problem solved.

And I file that away so the next time that comes up, I'm ready. Because that'll come up again. Someone is going to do that until they figure out that it isn't causing anyone any problems.

14 comments:

  1. I'm glad the computer knew to fix itself! I suppose the default is English, so it needs to be told to change each time. As long as no teachers are crying out, "My computer isn't showing English, what do I do!" in class, the culprit will give up, like you said. Prank failed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I used to see the wrong keyboard frequently, but not so much anymore. I suppose it helped that each time it popped up, I fixed it in front of the student (or showed them how to), so they could fix it next time. And then that problem just kind of disappeared.

      Delete
  2. Oh yeah. I remember doing stuff like this in school just to mess with teachers. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't need pranks to make technology go haywire. lol My phone shut down today for no apparent reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see those issues, too. I can fix those about half the time.

      Delete
  4. Maybe it wasn't a prank. Who knows, with technology?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True. And it could be a student who spoke Arabic did it to help them with their assignment. Although, that seems unlikely as I haven't encountered any middle school newcomers who came from the Middle East. (At least, not right now.)

      Delete
  5. Oh my, I would be completely lost if my computer language changes from English!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not likely to happen. A kiddo did it here. It wasn't an accident.

      Delete
  6. How could they understand Arabic and know what to change? These kids are too techno nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - way too much going on in the techie world ... glad you could sort it - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.