Tuesday, October 24, 2023

A Welcome Opportunity

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if you were offered an opportunity (a job, a prize, a vacation, etc.) that you wanted only to find out later you were getting it because a friend wasn't getting it? 

4 comments:

  1. Vacation? I'd take my friend along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it was due to a random drawing of entries I wouldn't feel bad. If the friend lost out on the opportunity of a job in favor of me, that would be a tough one. I'm not sure how I would try to handle it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd hope my friend wouldn't hold a grudge and we'd still be friends after I got back if it was a vacation! Jobs? I would hope they hired me on the basis of my being the best candidate, and there'd be no hard feelings. A prize? I probably won it fair and square! My friends aren't petty, they'd be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, if job-then I hope because I was judged on my merit and not on just picked randomly.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.