Thursday, October 12, 2023

Perp Walk

On Tuesday of last week, I was back in Ms. R's moderate to severe special ed class. (I was last there two weeks ago.) 

The last time I was there, Zena had a meltdown that had her tearing one of the bulletin boards off the wall, and she battled her one-to-one aide about doing work (until it was almost lunchtime, when she was suddenly very cooperative so she could go eat outside). 

On this day, Zena refused to do any work. And to entertain herself, she kept reaching for her one-to-one aide's hair so she could pull it.

(I got pictures of her in action so the one-to-one aide could update Zena's mom on her behavior for the day.) 

Having a sub in the room (even though all the instructional assistants are there and things run pretty normally) throws the students off. The behaviors increase. Sometimes.

Zena was due to leave school early that day as she had a doctor's appointment. But getting Zena to leave can be an issue. (They told me about one day where Zena refused to budge for something like eight hours. They could not get her into her mother's car to go home.)

But one of the IAs had tried a trick with Zena that seemed to work. So they were going to try it again.

They "arrested" Zena.

They told her to stand, put her hands behind her back, and they held her like she was being handcuffed. Zena actually seemed to enjoy this. Then they perp walked her out of the room (getting someone to grab her backpack). 

Zena loves attention. Negative or positive, it doesn't matter. I guess this gave her the attention she craved.

She was taken from class and delivered to her mother. I presume she made it to her doctor's appointment without incident.

It was a strange technique. But, whatever works, right? I wonder how long that'll work, though. These sorts of tricks only work for a short time.

13 comments:

  1. Wow. Just wow. I must say, cats are like that. Just when you think you've figured out a behavior or come to expect a certain one, they change. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, very cat-like. Hopefully they'll figure out a new technique to get her out when she bores of this one.

      Delete
  2. Wow, I can't imagine trying to teach a child like that, or how badly her behavior hurts the others. And her poor Mom. How do you deal with things like this day after day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderate to severe special ed. They're all like that, some more, some less. I expect these sorts of things on days in these classes. Not all classes are like this.

      Delete
  3. As long as it works and hurts no one, it's all good. Those one on one helpers are worth every penny and more for being able to work with children and adults with issues so severe. The patience they must have. You too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I would deal with having a student pulling my hair. And she couldn't put any space between them or the student would wander and get into other mischief. Yeah, they don't make nearly enough for the work they do.

      Delete
  4. Whatever works, I generally agree with that. However. My feeling, no aide should be expected to tolerate physical abuse no matter how disabled the student is (and I say that as someone with a developmentally disabled brother in law and cousins who work or worked in school systems with disabled populations). I know there is no easy answer. But.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. Students should not hit or harass or abuse the aides. Or teachers. But they do. (I think I wrote a post about the time a student attacked me.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.