Friday, October 13, 2023

Useful Information

Friday. Freshman English, honors. 

It was day two of a two day assignment. (The school is on a block schedule, so I had two different sets of classes for each day.) They were reading The House on Mango Street.

It was the same lesson plan as the previous day, but things went much more smoothly with the honors kiddos than they did with the general ed kiddos. We were to read the first five chapters, and then they had questions.

They were supposed to have brought their books with them. (They had checked out copies from the library earlier in the week.) Most had. But a few had not.

But, they knew how to find copies of the book online.

One boy was explaining how to do it to his tablemates. Curious, I stopped and had him explain it to me. He did.

It's a simple Google search. Type in the name of the book you're looking for. Then add "doctype.pdf" to the end of it. And copies of the book will pop up. 

Try it. It works. (Although, the book has to exist as a doctype.pdf online for it to work, so I assume mostly books that are read in schools will be there.)

When I pay attention, I can learn all sorts of interesting things from them. Some of those things are more useful than others.

16 comments:

  1. Things sure change. Books that was required reading was supplied.
    Coffee is on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that's really cool. I had no idea. Made myself a note so I wouldn't forget how to do it. Glad day 2 went better, and double bonus the honors class went better than the special ed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea either. Honors classes generally go well.

      Delete
  3. It works, but I did not download the book (a recent book) that I got the link to. I am concerned it's some kind of book piracy but I haven't investigated it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's a little dicey when it's for individual use. In an educational setting, I have less concern.

      Delete
  4. Huh.. you do learn something new sometimes..

    ReplyDelete
  5. My teen age grdaughters have taught me so much, but it is their dad would help me effectively. Sounds like an interesting book. thecontemplativecat here

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz - yes definitely an interesting and useful tip to know about ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.