Friday, October 20, 2023

In the Support Position

Friday. Integrated math 2, co-taught.

Integrated math is the newer sequence of math they now teach. (Newer as they've been doing it this way for a few years now. Instead of algebra, then geometry, then algebra 2, it goes integrated math 1, then 2, then 3. So, freshmen take IM1, sophomores IM2, and juniors IM3 (if they're on track). But this can vary a bit.

So, before, this would have been a geometry class. But because topics are mixed, the day's lesson was graphing quadratic functions. (They do quadratics in IM2 instead of freshman year, which considering the complexity of the topic makes more sense to do when they're a bit older.) 

Because the class was co-taught, I got to sit back while the general ed teacher did the lesson. 

They teach math differently than they did when I was a student. There's more hands on work. Mr. J went over some notes that they copied into the packets that contained the problems he was going over (so they didn't have to write everything out). Then he had them try a problem or two. 

When they were trying it on their own, that's when I got to help out. Some students were diligently attempting the work. Some of those needed a bit of help when they got stuck. And, as I know the math, I could help them out.

But what I spent most of my time doing was growling at them to put away their phones.

They were texting. They were scrolling TikTok. I saw games. I didn't mind music, as some of them find that helps them work, but they were only doing a problem before Mr. J went over what they had done and set up the next bit they were to try on their own.

Cell phones are a problem. I see them in every class. They've tried to ban them, but parents complained to the district, and the district caved. 

The phones were only a problem with the students who refused to work, though. The ones who were focused on the lesson didn't bother theirs. 

Mr. J got through the lesson, and then he had them do the work on IXL. (IXL is a math program where they can practice the math online. It gives them immediate feedback as to whether the answers are right or wrong. The students finish each assignment when they reach a target score, so those that get it don't have to work as many problems as those that don't. And their problems are harder than those who are still struggling to understand.) 

Again. those who were working had questions. Those who weren't were on their phones.

And Mr. J later told me that everyone I growled at were students that had their phones out regularly. 

I'm not surprised. I just wish there was a way to get through to them that they're only hurting themselves in the long run. I doubt they'd believe me, though.

14 comments:

  1. "Graphing quadratic equations" gave me a horrible flashback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I help my granddaughter (5th grade) with her math every day, and I'm already pushing my limits. Not sure what we're going to do when she gets to IM2!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. They have no clue. This, to me, is a horror workplace..lol. what is algebra used for?? Calculus?.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, those were very helpful tools for me when I took my physics classes in college...

      Delete
  4. I'm surprised parents complained. You would think they'd prefer a good education.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have written that parents should prefer their children be focused on a good education...

      Delete
    2. Oh no. The parents want to be able to contact their kid whenever. I don't know if they realize how addicted the kiddos are and how much the phones distract them during the day.

      Delete
  5. The same here in France... Some take selfies in class...

    ReplyDelete
  6. In my son's middle school all phone have to be left in the locker else they get confiscated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Math was a nightmare subject for me starting in sixth grade. The last thing I would have needed was the distraction of a phone. The students working diligently have so many more temptations than I ever did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's the problem. They teach math so much better now, but if they're not trying, it's not helping.

      Delete
  8. Cell phone usage is a problem to young people
    Have a wonderful weekend!
    You can view my new post here:
    https://www.melodyjacob.com/2023/10/decoding-instagrams-modesty-debate-are-revealing-trends-empowering-or-indecent.html

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't understand parents supporting their use of phones to screw around during class. No phones ought to be on during school hours except maybe during their lunch breaks. Can't imagine trying to reach kids while they have you tuned out so they can play games etc on their phones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? But some parents insist on being able to contact their kiddos while they're in class. Otherwise, they wouldn't oppose banning phones the way they do.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.