Thursday, October 5, 2023

Cursed 5th

It was the strangest thing.

With the new (to us) sub scheduling app, it's become kind of a game to catch assignments as they pop up. A couple weeks ago, I managed to grab a three-day middle school history class. 

Then a week later, the gig vanished.

Assignments get cancelled. I don't know why. They don't tell us. I've heard sometimes that certain trainings get cancelled. Or a teacher changes their mind. It's not a big deal. Something else usually pops up.

And sure enough, another history assignment popped up. It was only for one day of the three, but that was fine. I took it.

The next day, the assignment was cancelled. 

Weird, but not unheard of. 

The next day, another assignment popped up for that Thursday. Another history class. 

Two hours later, it also vanished.

What the...? 

I was beginning to wonder if it was me. 

I asked the secretary at one school. She didn't know. I emailed the secretary at another school. It turned out that their Homecoming was that week. The teachers probably didn't want to miss that.

Okay, that made it feel less like it was me. (I doubt it was me, but there's that little paranoid voice that can get loud when I have no other explanation.) 

A couple days ago, another assignment popped up for that day. And for the following Friday. 

Fingers crossed...

So far (as of the writing of this post), the assignment is still booked. But considering my luck with the day, I'm not counting that as happening until the day.

What day? Today. (The day this post goes live.) 

I'll let you know in the comments if that gig remained (my fourth attempt at booking the day) or if something else happened.

10 comments:

  1. It also wouldn't surprise me if the app was just not working.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True, what if it's just a glitch in the system?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I understand such paranoia. But the homecoming explanation makes sense. I hope you got the gig.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, HoCo explains it all. (I can't believe I just called it HoCo. And again.)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I worked today. 9th grade English. I'm still debating if I had anything blog-worthy that happened.

      Delete
  5. A cliffhanger? This has to be so frustrating for you by now. I, personally, vote for "glitch in app" rather than something to do with you personally.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither, actually. Not a glitch. And while I feel like it was personal, it wasn't about me. I just was unlucky in picking up gigs that subsequently got cancelled.

      I worked today.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a pain in the rump.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I think I ended up with a decent assignment in the end.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.