Thursday, November 16, 2023

The Vanishing Student

The long-term special ed social studies class I'm covering is all juniors and seniors. And I haven't had any major behavior issues so far. The classes are pretty mellow, and the students mostly do their work. Kind of.

But there is some drama.

Elena is a student I met in success seminar last year. She's bright. But she's got some issues. 

On Wednesday, Elena was on time for third period. She was all ready to work. Problem was, she was enrolled in fifth period, not third. 

She didn't want to leave, but I figured her science teacher would be missing her. I sent her on her way. (I even called her science teacher to tell her that Elena had come to the wrong class.) 

She did return fifth period. But she wasn't so much in a working mood. She finished quickly, or she didn't do the work, I'm not sure which.

And then, towards the end of the period, she went to "get some air" just outside the classroom. 

Then I saw her through the window, walking away from class.

Sigh. 

***

I don't usually do this, but right now it's Tuesday the 14th, and I'm editing this post to add information. (I wrote the above on Sunday.) Because I just got a call from the attendance office. 

The attendance clerk called to verify Elena's attendance on that Wednesday. See, I was the only teacher to mark her present (although that mark was a tardy), and Elena's grandmother was calling the school to verify.

Luckily (or unluckily) for Elena, her presence that day was now memorable, so I could relate to the attendance clerk the above story. (Although, now I see that Elena never did make it to her third period class.) 

This leaves me with questions. Elena came to school, but only attended one period? I know she was on campus third period (as she had been in the room), but since she didn't go to her third period class, where did she spend the rest of third period? 

I'm not sure exactly what's going on with Elena. I get a sense that she's going through some things. Some major things. 

I'm used to not getting the whole story. I hope Elena gets the help she needs.

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I hope she does get some help she is needing to deal with whatever is going through. There is a major issue with the treatment for folks dealing with mental health issues. I declared her in that group because it sounds like she might be depressed. I have to take my middle grand to the doc today, he is dealing with something and this is his second apt. He will not talk to anyone so hoping these apts help get to the bottom of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It could be any number of things. And from my perspective, it's hard to tell. Sometimes I get answers, but not always.

      Delete
  2. If she's anything like girls (usually) I knew, she spent it in the bathroom. Back in my day, the campus was spread out into empty fields and hills, and a creek. The tennis court was across a little bridge! There was a grove of eucalyptus trees where students would hang out. Only the smokers though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bathrooms are gross. And ancient. But yeah, she totally could have been there.

      Delete
  3. I, too, hope things improve if she is going through a bad patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The bad patch seems to have been most of her high school career. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. I feel for Elena and her grandmother especially if said grandmother is raising her. It's a tough age to begin with and there are so many mental health issues floating around. And why would she intentionally have come to a different period social studies class instead of the one she normally goes to, all ready to work? Something really does sound off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure if she was high or if she just didn't want to deal with her science teacher. (I know the science teacher. I like her. But I can see how the kiddos might have issues with her.)

      Delete
  5. Elena is in need of personal help, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's sad when you see someone who needs help but may not want it. I hope she finds the right path

    ReplyDelete
  7. There could be many like Elena whom we don't know. Hope she gets the help she needs. Wish her well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.