Friday, February 16, 2024

Day in the Life of a Sub

Last Friday was a day...

As I drove to school, the sun was shining. And the rain was falling.

The rain wasn't supposed to be falling. The weather report had said we were done with rain (for a bit). 

Once I parked, I double checked the weather app on my phone (to determine which umbrella I'd bring from my car) to discover that the sub desk had called me. I called her back, and she let me know that my job for the day had been cancelled. 

But, they were going to switch my gig to another teacher whose scheduled sub had cancelled the evening before. As it was at the same school (two doors down from the teacher I was expecting to cover), it wasn't a major issue.

The teacher I was now covering was leaving on a field trip for a flag football tournament. These are the moderate to severe special ed classes, and the districts in the area have begun a "unified" thing where some special ed kiddos and some general ed kiddos play on various teams and compete against different schools. 

This, of course, meant that the classes would be light some students. I also gained a couple students (Zena...) due to them remaining behind while their teacher didn't get a sub. 

Once the dust settled, the first class went pretty smoothly. Then, instead of getting a prep period, I was asked to cover a class over in the new STEAM building. 

I found someone to open the door for me (they don't give me keys when I'm covering an extra period), and he had trouble finding the room. (I do not know my way around the STEAM building as it's new this year. I've subbed in there a few times, but every time I have to consult a map to figure out where I need to go. In a couple years, after I've been in the building several more times, I'll be an old pro.) 

What class was I covering? It was called BioAnimaker. Apparently, they're eventually going to learn how to make lifelike robots or something. The students explained that at the moment the class was more playing with 3D printers. (The new building has spaces for things that the school hasn't quite instituted yet. It's coming, though.) 

This is how I learn about some of these things. I cover the class.

After that class, it was time for art.

Ms. A co-teaches an art class with a general ed art teacher (who I've subbed for a couple times this school year). It's a mixed class--some of Ms. A's special ed kiddos along with Ms. G's general ed kiddos. (It's more of the unified stuff. They integrate the special ed kiddos into the general population, and they expose the general ed kiddos to students who are different.) 

As luck would have it, the art class was also in the STEAM building. I didn't have far to go at all.

After art was lunchtime. I got to sit and eat. I was enjoying the moment of not traipsing all over campus when... EARTHQUAKE. 

An instructional assistant was in the room with me (supervising her one-to-one student), but she didn't feel it. I immediately consulted my earthquake app to learn it was a 4.7 on the Richter scale. (I heard it was downgraded to a 4.6 later.) The epicenter was roughly 45 miles away. 

The earthquake was about ten minutes before the end of lunch. I had three students in the next class. And then I had two when one of them got called into speech. (A speech therapist has half hour classes with some of the kiddos from time to time.) 

Then the field trippers returned. (They got first place in the tournament.) Some remained in class while others went off to different classes. And Ms. A returned, although she was in and out finishing up things from her day off campus.

After all that, I needed the weekend. Although, some days are like this. I go all over the place and do various things. It helps that a lot of this was stuff I was accustomed to, so I just rolled with it. That's the gig.

19 comments:

  1. So the rain isn't enough, you get an earthquake thrown in there, too. Is California mad at you in particular or everyone there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm exhausted just reading your post. Wow, what a day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe that such variety is a blessing, though I'm sorry it can be stressful. My efforts to keep things interesting with temporary office jobs always ended in a permanent position. While this resulted in just three employers over as many (rather boring and alternately stressful) decades of service, it's flattering. lol Two businesses sold out and I declined their alternate offerings. From the third, I retired.

    Be well,
    Darla Sands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like the variety. And that's why I continue to do the gig. It wasn't exhausting, just one of those weird all-over-the-place days.

      Delete
  4. More adventure outside the class than inside?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But that's a good thing. It means the kiddos weren't a problem.

      Delete
  5. Earthquake to make your day complete! I felt a couple when I lived the next town over, then experienced a few when I lived in Alaska. But nothing over a 5 or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as the bigger ones are farther away, all's well. Northridge was far enough away from me. Horrors at the epicenter, but where I was it was minimal damage. Of course, with the big ones, it's the aftershocks for months that get you.

      Delete
  6. Now that is a class I have never heard of. EaRtHqUaKe!! Yikes....I know you guys feel them all the time. Like I told Cory, I hope I am out there when one hits, nothing bad, nothing to destroy anything and nothing to hurt someone, but just to know I have felt one. Silly, huh?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. You really should experience a small one so you understand why we just kind of go on with our day when one occurs. Big ones are a different thing entirely. (A little shaking's okay. Buildings falling down is not.)

      Delete
  7. Some of the best classes I've subbed for (and was a Teachers Assistant in) were the Life Skills ones. Those kids were genuine and happy to see you every day. It was a pleasure. Special Ed ones? Could be a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  8. An earthquake.. wow. Though you must be used to them by now.. I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My youngest has two 3D printers. They are interesting, but still not practical for the home. He uses them for his hobby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you kind of need a specific reason to have one. I can see their usefulness in a classroom or for a specific hobby, but not for general use.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.