Friday, February 9, 2024

Rainy Day Rules

Thursday. Rain had been predicted for about a week, so it was no surprise when I woke up to lots of water falling out of the sky. I had booked the day in advance at the alternative education center (the school they send the kiddos to when they get kicked out of the other schools for reasons). 

Only four students showed up for school. (I think total enrollment currently is seven.) So, someone decided to modify the schedule. 

(For first period, the English teacher had no students present, so he offered to go out for cronuts.)

I had the math/science class. For first period, I had three of the four present students. So, rather than have one kiddo on his own in history, they sent him to me (for science). Then I kept all four students for second period (for math). And then I was done for the day. 

(The history teacher took the four for third and fourth periods. Then fifth and sixth they had counseling, but they figured rainy day, so they'd just watch a movie.) 

And here I was gearing up for trouble. 

But it ended up being a mellow couple of periods (and a quiet rest of the day). 

This was good, as I've had run-ins with these boys before. Remember Jensen? I last saw him at one of the traditional high schools right before winter break. (He was notable for being very late to class consistently and then not doing any work. He was in the English class I started the school year in.) I was not terribly surprised to see the district had changed his placement. 

And... Do you remember Austin? Chair-thrower Austin? (Check out the link for that story.) He's back...

(I should mention that the chair throwing incident is famous. Or infamous. I cannot tell you how often a student would walk up to me and reference the chair throwing incident last school year. It was a lot.)

The worst I can say about Jensen and Austin on this day? They did no work. (Jensen claimed he completed his online work, but I doubt it.) They entertained themselves by watching videos on the computer. 

I'll take it. 

17 comments:

  1. Those two don't have bright futures ahead of them I foresee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really, really hope they have a change of heart and turn their lives around. It's possible.

      Delete
  2. Better to be prepared and not g have any trouble

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was expecting much worse than I got. Those are good days.

      Delete
  3. Some days, that's the best you can hope for. Especially on a day where rain is falling. I don't know how you survived.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also hope those students can straighten up before life starts its adult education program. That school is going to be much harsher than the continuation high school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've already had some of that harshness. Many times it's trauma that causes kiddos to be this way.

      Delete
  5. Your "sub" posts show how flexible you are. Every day seems to throw you curveballs and you're ready. I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not always ready. But I've done this long enough that I'm used to pivoting when I need to.

      Delete
  6. Only four students, eh? That rain must have been torrential.

    ReplyDelete
  7. When my youngest were in a district home school program (not accredited, so we could do what we wanted, just had resources from the district) we came to the campus (library, room for classes, offices for the advisors) and were told to stay out of certain hallways, it was where the alternative ed. students were. It made us wonder what could happen, apparently more than chair throwing was the worry. You heart does have to go out to them, for whatever reasons they end up there it isn't often completely their fault. Same as the ones at the juvenile hall where I did my library science internship. Nice kids, most of them. Starving for adult attention, which they didn't get at home. It might have been the best thing to turn them around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, definitely there are issues there which would best be dealt with by attention rather than punishment. But yeah, they tend to segregate them from the rest of the students just so that issues don't crop up.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.