Friday, February 2, 2024

Laws of Gravity

From my college studies, I remember two constants in physics. (The other one is the speed of light.)

Friday. Sixth period eighth grade science. The topic of the day was Newton's Laws of Motion.

I explained to the class: "This is literally my subject." 

They had some notes (in their Google Classroom) and some problems to complete. Normally, I have to take a minute to familiarize myself with the topic of the day before I feel comfortable enough to offer assistance. These problems I knew how to do cold.

I heard it bandied about. One student asked another if it was the correct number. What number? 9.8. And I could confirm.

The rate of acceleration due to Earth's gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.

The problems were about mass versus weight. (Mass in kilograms. Weight in Newtons.)

Not all on Earth. (Gravity on the other planets was given in the problems.) 

Did the kiddos need my help? Nope. 

(I got a couple questions. Mostly, they knew what they were doing.)

Well, it was an advanced class. And they were doing the basics. The kiddos worked together, so they answered each other's questions.

I generally don't have issues with Ms. B's classes. I don't know what magic she uses on those eighth graders, but she has to do something, because they are not a problem.

16 comments:

  1. I remember the nine point eight. I feel like it came up a lot in my physics classes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a nice bonus when the students behave and, better yet, are interested in learning. You reminded me of just how cool my son's high school physics teacher was. He promised if everyone did well in some project he would lie on a bed of nails. They did, he did, and taught why he wasn't injured. Mrs. B isn't planning to do that, is she?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt it. It's not technically a physics class (more's the pity). 8th grade science is all the physical sciences, so they hit chemistry as well.

      Delete
  3. The fact this is an advanced class, I think, explains the good behavior. Alana's story is awesome, too. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I don't tend to have behavior problems with advanced classes.

      Delete
  4. That is well beyond any science I took! I took only earth and biological sciences. No chemistry or physics. That was high school. 8th grade I did pretty much nothing, I was out of the country.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 8th grade science is basically physical science. The basics. It was when I was in school, too.

      Delete
  5. It's so good you had an easy class where there were no behaviour issues and you knew all the material - I think every teacher deserves classes like this! It's such a hard job you do, and it's nice when you get a moment to just enjoy the time with the kids instead of having to deal with issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't had a lot of issues of late. I shouldn't say that so loudly, though. That tends to bring them to me.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Sir Isaac Newton is an interesting figure, but they didn't get into the history of it all.

      Delete
  7. thecontemplativecat here. That must have been so unusual! They are lucky to have such a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not unusual for Ms. B's classes. They tend to be pretty good.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.