Tuesday, February 13, 2024

Returning the Favor

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Last week's "what if?" was part one of today's question. Last week I asked if you had the technical knowledge to build a time machine but not the funds, would you get someone to fund it for you? 

But, when I got the idea for the question, I was thinking of it as if the time machine had been built, just with the funding of someone else. Which leads to the real question:

What if the person who gave you the money to build your time machine then had a task for you to complete? (Assume the time machine is built, so you've already spent the money. And assume that what they want you to do is something that you'd rather not, but it is something you can do.)

8 comments:

  1. That is a clever premise. A plot could go in so many different directions. Meanwhile, I'm flooded with pop culture references. lol On a side note, we learned that Magnum P.I. and Quantum Leap were to have crossover episodes back in the day.

    Best wishes, Darla Sands

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I wouldn't have built the time machine to begin with, guess I don't have to worry about completing a task. I know, I'm no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Playing with time, might not turn out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would not take on a task to alter the events of the past. I would be willing to travel back in time to witness some of the greatest mysteries of the past. The construction of the pyramids, who is Shakespeare, who shot JFK etc...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Last week I sold my plans for the time machine (no interest in time travel), so not my favor to fulfill!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If it was something I could do but didn't want to, I'd consider its moral implications and potential consequences. If the task aligned with my values and could benefit others, I might accept it.

    Happy Valentine's Day, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gifts with strings attached. Hate those.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.