Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Beyond Your Means

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if you knew how to build a time machine, but you couldn't afford to do it? Would you find someone to finance it? Would you tell your financier what you were building? 

10 comments:

  1. Captain Janeway : Time travel. Since my first day on the job as a Starfleet captain I swore I'd never let myself get caught in one of these godforsaken paradoxes - the future is the past, the past is the future, it all gives me a headache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd find the money but I would inform them only so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A "maybe" vote here. I'd have to think hard about even building a time machine, never mind how I would get the financing. I've read too many SF stories about time travel and they rarely end well. If I did decide to build one, I wouldn't tell the financier.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I already have one. And a clone machine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd sell the idea for millions. I wouldn't want to time travel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn phone... this is Lisa, Lisa's Garden Adventure.

      Delete
  6. I think I'd bury those plans. Time travel can mess up so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oof. I could see so much going wrong with that. I'd probably keep silent about it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The financier would be the first one into the time machine with no way back!!! Debt free, I could then charge more than the billionaires charge for a few minute space ride to send people off anywhere to mess with the past inadvertantly changing up the future, probably in horrible ways.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd likely burn those blueprints; the world is already chaotic as it is.

    Happy Sunday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.