Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Guilt

It was the second week of my new long-term assignment, and I spent much of it getting their grades caught up. For much of the month of February, nothing had been graded and the non-co-taught classes had been kind of left up to their own devices.

When I talked to Mr. J about his upcoming absence, he had planned to be out starting in mid March. So, when another teacher asked me to cover her classes for the last two weeks of February, I figured I'd be free and agreed. 

But Mr. J's wife had to take her maternity leave early and Mr. J needed to be home with her. So, the secretary got another sub to take the class until I could start. I don't know Mr. D very well, but he is well-liked at the school, and he's done quite a few longer assignments as of late.

As it wasn't technically long enough to be long-term, Mr. D didn't get grading access, nor did he directly instruct the classes that weren't co-taught. 

There's one sophomore math class and three computer science classes that aren't co-taught. (There are two sophomore math classes that are co-taught, and Ms. L was instructing them.) 

The computer science classes were going to be tricky anyway, as there aren't any subs who are well-versed (or even partially knowledgeable) in computer science. They were always going to be kinda on their own. Their lessons have videos, and one can follow what they're supposed to be doing. But mostly they were supposed to be keeping up with the lessons on the website.

But the math class was also kinda left to their own devices. They had computerized lessons. The co-teacher made them videos. But sophomores. 15-year-olds are not known for being self starters.

So, I've been sorting out things like tests that didn't happen and grades that didn't get input. And lessons that the kiddos didn't actually get. 

I've been hit with a whole lot of guilt.

Because, if I had just dropped out of that two-week assignment, I could have started this class back in February, and we wouldn't be in the midst of a mess.

The math class had a test over the unit that they were supposed to be keeping up with. It went badly. The computer science classes missed a test at the end of February over their unit. (Once I realized this, I gave them a week's heads-up that the test would happen, so they had time to look over what they were supposed to have learned.) That test also went not great. (Some did well. Some, not so much.) 

Their quarter grades were due at the end of last week. And many of them took a nose-dive. 

Part of me is exasperated as clearly they weren't doing anything while Mr. D was there. (And he gave them the assignments, and they had the time in class to do them.) But part of me also understands that some things got missed because of the situation.

This would not have been the situation if I had started in February.

Deep sigh.

All I can do is move on from here. And kind of enjoy watching the kiddos scramble to turn in assignments late that they should have done in February. When they were assigned. When they had time in class.

(The baby's been born, and both mother and son are doing well. I don't know much more than that as I haven't been bothering Mr. J with school stuff while he's on leave.)

13 comments:

  1. What a mess! But you’ll get it sorted out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not your fault. Hope it all sorts out and the kids aren't too far behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're definitely not going to know how to solve quadratic equations, but I'm going to make sure they understand the new trig unit.

      Delete
  3. Paperwork (so to speak) pains - I would discourage you from feeling guilt; you had no way of knowing what would happen. I know you will get it sorted out and the students back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got the paperwork mostly sorted as of now. (I say "mostly" so the universe doesn't laugh at me and throw something else my way.)

      Delete
  4. I mean, it's not really your fault for not dropping out. It's the school's fault for not being able to manage an emergency situation like this. You're the sub, not management.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wouldn't this fall o Mr. J's lap that much was not done? You had no idea what mess there was. If you did know and still stayed away..ok maybe I get that but this was not your fault. You got it figured out an d it all came together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Things would have been more put together if Mr. J hadn't had to start his leave early. But I can't really be upset. It wasn't like anyone wanted those complications.

      Delete
  6. Absolutely, it's all you can do at this point. -move on and be OK with your decisions. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can only do what's in front of me. I can't redo the past.

      Delete
  7. We can only do with what we have. Be well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.