Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Either/Or

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if your career aspirations directly conflicted with those of your significant other? (That is, one of you can pursue the career goals, but that effectively blocks the other from doing the same.)

11 comments:

  1. For that to be an issue I would have to have been someone else. I mean, career-oriented enough to choose my career over a relationship. If one gave up their goals for another it would end up causing a lot of resentment. It's like moving for your partner's job, and giving up your own. I guess it boils down to a choice. Which is more important to you, career or relationship? And no resenting your choice afterwards!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw that happen with my cousin and best friend. They ended up divorced. If my husband's career options made more money (which they do anyway) I'd find another dream.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy...I'm not sure what I would do but I can see me not want to give up on my dream.

    ReplyDelete
  4. From what I've seen, it usually doesn't end well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. Heh...
      Blessings, Darla
      https://darlamsands.blogspot.com

      Delete
  6. We would find a way to work it out. But ultimately, if we are talking my wife, there is no contest. She wins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There will be always a work around. One of us will change the career choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we'd work it out if we really love each other.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've witnessed countless marriages crumble under the weight of conflicting career aspirations. It's a heartbreaking reality where compromises lead to resentment, and dreams deferred breed discontent.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.