Thursday, March 21, 2024

The Wrong Answer

I started the long-term math class right at the end of a unit on solving quadratic equations. All that was left was a study guide (that I went over with them) and the test.

The test...

(See yesterday's post for the explanation for why they didn't really learn anything about solving quadratic equations.) 

Grading the test, I saw how much they really didn't know. Deep sigh. If only I'd gotten to them sooner...

One boy clearly did not read the directions as he attempted to solve the equation using a different method than instructed. (He was supposed to use the formula, which was given on the test, but didn't.) His answer wasn't even close.

Then the next paper I graded... It was the exact same "solution" without using the formula. I went back and double checked. Sure enough, this whole paper was pretty much exactly like the first boy's. 

Then there was a third paper. Identical.

If the answers had been right, I wouldn't have noticed. But all of the wrong answers were the exact same wrong answers.

I graded a few more tests. Then I found a fourth paper identical to the other three.

*rolls eyes*

I mean, if you're going to cheat, you might as well cheat off of someone who knows what they're doing.

But no one in this group knew what they were doing. 

The worst part? I watched them. I stood in front of the class (and the four boys sat at the front of the room) and watched them take the test. I did not see them sharing answers. 

14 comments:

  1. They found a new, undetectable way to cheat, but that doesn't matter when you still don't have the right answers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To me, it's a mystery. Was it possible for someone to get hold of the test questions (illegally, of course) and sell the answers to his friends? And this answer happened to be wrong?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The four boys were sitting next to each other, in a group. I can see how one could have looked over a shoulder or next to him (or catecorner) to see another's answers.

      I called them out on this yesterday. There was one boy in the group who looked shocked. The other three looked guilty. It was an instance of copying.

      Delete
  3. My niece who is in college was called out earlier this week for "self-plagarizing" because she inadvertently sent in a document from the previous week's homework, but the new document she created didn't save properly. Now she's one more mess up away from being kicked out of her nursing program. I am of the opinion that cheating, as you note above, is wrong, but we've reached a point in society where we expect perfectionistic robots, not people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's sad... both the cheating part, and being so clueless that you cheat off someone who has all the wrong answers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. More funny than sad, I think. They couldn't even copy someone who knew what they were doing.

      Delete
  6. Usually the students know who's going to do well on a test!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which just tells you how much they didn't learn for that unit.

      Delete
  7. They will be highly successful in life if they could cheat so efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are sneaky but not that bright

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, true. They are not as good at these things as they think they are.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.