Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Handled?

Back in October, I did a co-teaching day in a math class. I covered for the special ed teacher. The general ed teacher, Mr. J, talked of leave he'd be taking in March for the birth of his second child. I agreed to cover his class. 

But, in late January his wife was hospitalized with complications, so his leave had to start early. Alas, I had promised another teacher I'd cover her classes at the end of February

They found another sub to cover the classes until I could start. I started last Monday.

They gave us a transition day. 

The co-teacher was around, but of the block schedule days, this was the day she did not co-teach. When she popped in, I had one major question for her:

"When are grades due?"

Because, they have to be. I'm starting a long term assignment, so grades are due. Last year I got slapped in the face with this. Now it's on my radar.

Ms. L, the co-teacher, wasn't sure, but we figured out that the end of the quarter was the next week (read: this week). So, I had some time to get situated before I'd have to submit grades.

As Ms. L discussed what we'd be doing in class, she mentioned some testing that was due. We'd have to do it next week (again read: this week). And I laughed. Because I got hit with that one in the vacant English class I started this school year in. 

At least I have all the things I need for that one. (Getting my log in credentials reinstated for this test ended up being an issue, so I have periodically checked to make sure I still have access since then.) 

I am not going to do anything stupid and say something about being all set. Because I'm not. Something else is going to appear out of the blue that I'll have to scramble to deal with.

But, for the moment, my begin-the-long-term scramble seems to be handled. For now. 

Mr. J is scheduled to return in early May. This should be an interesting two months.

16 comments:

  1. It's good that last year's experiences prepared you for this year. Maybe your next two months will go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a surprise, but a left turn did appear this week. Fingers crossed that that's all that pops up.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, it's not wise to tempt fate.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Seems odd that the co-teacher didn't know when they are due. Seems odd that a sub needs to do it! Although I guess the info is all computerized now, so long as you have access.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A regular day-to-day sub doesn't. But a long-term sub does. (The teacher is out on leave, so if I don't put the grades in, the students don't get graded.)

      Delete
  4. Oy, that sounds like a headache. I hear that there is a nationwide shortage of substitute teachers. Now I kind of know why.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope this doesn't become too interesting. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, words like all set, ready to go, got it covered can and most times come back to bite you in as....I mean rear! Best of luck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I'm well aware. So now I'm careful not to say it.

      Delete
  7. Best wishes. You'll have some adventure, it looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This reminds me of my best friend who teaches at a posh school, meaning very expensive. The higher ups often drop things onto the teachers' laps to get something done over the weekend on top of their regular stuff. Very stressful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In my case it's a matter of jumping in halfway through the year. But yeah, it's one of the things they do often in teaching.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.