Friday, March 15, 2024

The Cheater

Thursday. Fifth period integrated math 2 (read: math for sophomores). They had a test.

Ms. L, the co-teacher, warned me about Adriel a couple days prior.

As Ms. L was going over the study guide for the test, I had noted that Adriel wasn't doing much of anything. I prompted him to get on task, which he ignored. I moved on to helping other students who had questions over what they'd be tested on.

Ms. L said that Adriel didn't do much in class besides watch his phone. And then she'd find that his computerized class assignments had him getting 100% after working on the problems for five minutes. (It should take a bit longer than that.) Clearly, he had found a way to game the system.

And, apparently, he had attempted to cheat on a test previously this school year.

On test day, Ms. L took her special ed students to test in a different room while I monitored those that weren't special ed identified. Mostly, kiddos don't attempt to cheat on tests, but this time I knew to watch Adriel. 

I didn't intend to make it obvious. However, Adriel was also watching me. 

All the other kiddos were focused on their tests. Occasionally they'd look up. Adriel? He wasn't looking at his test paper at all.

I didn't watch Adriel. But I kept an eye on him (as well as the others in class). I did not catch him on his phone. I did not catch him with anything he should not have. 

But that doesn't mean he didn't sneak something by me. I hope he did not. We'll see...

At least I know where to focus my attention. Although, any student who is watching me when they have something to work on is someone who I need to pay attention to anyway.

15 comments:

  1. Sounds like he'll make a great corporate executive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Adriel has embarked on the cheating and shortcut path. I do wonder about some of your students once they reach adulthood. All you can do is the best you can. Of course the rest is up to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could make them care, but I can't.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Alana and J E's comment almost made me choke. Best wishes to you and your charges!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was highly amused by J E Oneil's comment above. That's the truth too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have to focus on students... :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. He is not a fan of you..a good thing. I'd want to take his phone away. From what I know, they made it law here. I heard it would take action and then pfft, haven't heard more. He'll make a lousy employee at McDonalds. Now I must catch up on the rest of your week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used to take phones. Then the parents put up a stink...

      Delete
  7. I might not have always been on point with studying but cheating was not a thing for me. As tough as I am, I was a chicken when it came to things like that, getting caught with my mom and dad.....yep, not taking that chance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know why they risk it, but I guess they just don't care.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.