Tuesday, March 19, 2024

Genius Powers

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

I have a short subbing story for you. It was a seventh grade accelerated math class (read: academic kiddos). One kid asked a question about something that I had gone over. So, another student called the kiddo stupid. 

The stupid comment was unnecessary and untrue. (Sometimes they don't hear what I said.) So, while informing them that calling their fellow students stupid was wrong, I made this comment: "Everyone in this room is a genius."

(I did not further explain. Everyone is good at something. And when we find that thing, we could be considered a genius at it.)

After making that statement, the energy in the room changed. They heard me. And they believed me.

Which brings me to this week's question:

What if my statement was actually magic, and I somehow unlocked a superpower in each student in that room?

9 comments:

  1. That might be disastrous! Middle schoolers with superpowers? I wouldn't trust them to use them for good! I agree with your "Everyone is good at something."

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some of those students, you may have unlocked a superpower. It just takes encouragement with some pupils - like, my writing and my 7th grade English/homeroom teacher. Although, I agree with Lisa, middle schoolers with superpowers could get a bit scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'd be the happiest teacher in the world if it was a good and positive superpower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It might have been magic to those kids. Or even one of them. You're so right, that we are all good at something. But not everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remarks like that can actually work wonders with youngsters. I've done it quite many times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh gosh...I'm not sure kids could handle a superpower. I have an image of a kid vaporizing a teacher he hated whole another checking g put the girls because he has x ray vision.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL @ Birgit's comment! 😂
    It could get crazy with middle schoolers having powers, but maybe if they had good ones and some guidance, they could do amazing things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, I had to come over and see your question for last week....that would be amazing if it unlocked superpowers but only if those powers were for good. No evil powers. But what would really be cool is if the superpowers opened up the cell in the brain for learning and being so smart...lol

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.