Thursday, May 4, 2023

Jinxed It


"I think I'm all caught up..."

I didn't say it out loud, but the universe obviously heard me. And laughed.

Tuesday. Fourth period.

It was the leadership class. The student body president (who's been running the class) was talking about something to the other students, and the topic of progress reports came up.

And suddenly, I knew. Progress reports were due. And I was going to have to do them.

Because I'm the sub, no one bothered to send me the usual emails that the teachers get reminding them of such things. So, I scrambled to figure out when the things were due. 

They were due Thursday. So, I had two days. I hadn't missed the window. 

The previous sub was caught up with grading. It was the main thing he worked on during our transition day. (I checked out a computer and figured out what I needed to teach the next day.) So, it was just a matter of uploading those grades. And then comments. But I've done comments before. Doable.

Just when I thought I could relax... Yeah, never tell the universe you're caught up. Not while teaching. No one's ever caught up while teaching.

10 comments:

  1. I can relate to this. Just when you think everything is done, you realise there is a whole lot more left! Luckily you have two more days left.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something you wouldn't think they'd expect a sub to have to do!
    My daughter had one of those universe laughing moments recently. She found herself needing to defend a vile person (far right conspirator, and wife abuser) online for lies (or misunderstanding, probably lies) being told about a medical procedure he'd had that made him sound worse. She wants the condition talked about more, but not because of him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes the universe surprises you. I have had to do grades before, but only when I'm in a long-term situation, which is what this is.

      Delete
  3. You never want to ignore the universe when it sends out a message!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad it spoke loudly enough for me to hear. If I had missed that... (If the parents don't get a warning, those students who are getting Fs can't be failed. And there were so many who have done nothing this semester, so I absolutely couldn't let that happen.)

      Delete
  4. I figure life is all about catching up.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you found out in time to do them, though it's always annoying not find about a deadline well ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering that I'd been in the class for a week, I don't think they could have gotten me the info any earlier to have done me some good. I did have plenty of time, and the grades were submitted on time.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.