Thursday, May 11, 2023

Graded

One of the things I get to do while doing a "long term" assignment is the grading. (I'm only in this class for three weeks, but Ms. A has been out since January. I'm actually doing lessons and everything.) 

The eleventh graders are reading The Great Gatsby. As the English classes have been teaching this novel yearly for a while, they have certain set assignments that go with it. One is an assignment where the students describe the characters using quotes from the novel. Another is where the students explain the significance of certain passages.

These are tricky assignments, but at this point in their schooling, they should be able to find quotes and argue their perspectives. (Since I've covered every year of English, I see how these skills are built up from the seventh grade. Each school year they add on another layer of complexity.)

I introduced the assignments. I explained. I went through examples. 

When they said one class period wasn't long enough to finish, I gave them another. (Ms. A had built in two class periods for the assignment into her lesson plans, but we were behind so I was trying to play catch up.) 

Because the assignments are online, I was able to peek at what they'd been doing, and I read through and offered suggestions as to how they could make their arguments stronger. (It didn't take as long as it might have as half the students hadn't even begun.)

Then the assignments were due.

During the conference period, I graded. So many of the assignments were not done well. Some hadn't identified the correct speaker for the quotes. And their analyses were weak. Sigh.

I "returned" their assignments and then entered them into the online gradebook.

I stepped out of the room to hit the restroom. Upon my return, a student was knocking on the classroom door. (It was still my conference period.)

He wanted to know why he hadn't gotten full credit. 

His was one of the better assignments. I just had a couple quibbles, things he said he would fix. 

Then I got an email from another student. And during passing period, a third student stopped by asking what she had done wrong.

Oh my. Some of them do care about their grades.

Still, a third of them hadn't bothered to do the assignments. (That third have very strong Fs at the moment, and as we have less than a month left of school, they're likely not pulling that grade up in time.) 

15 comments:

  1. Waiting till the last min to try and pull it off....or not trying at all. Are they kids just lazy or don't care? What about parents? I assume that by posting the grades on an online grade book the parents can view this also? I know I was not fond of school, I know I used to to socialize, but I also know that I would get grounded for six weeks, till next grading period (and there was no online grades) if my grades were not at least a C or above. I did not graduate with honors but I did make it with As and Bs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, parents can view their grades at any time. So can the kiddos. Clearly some of the parents aren't following up. I figure that the parents that do care and follow up have the kiddos that aren't failing.

      Delete
    2. That seems a reasonable assumption.

      Delete
  2. Surprising they couldn't get even some of the basics right. Nevertheless, good to see some of them coming back to you to find out why they lost out on the grades.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many years Great Gatsby is require reading.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved udin* the parent portal to see my daughters’ grades.

    Gatsby isa great novel. One of my favorites

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, ours (Aeries) is popular amongst the parents that check up on their kiddos.

      Delete
  5. Sometimes complaining will get them better grades without having to do more work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thecontemplativecat here. God bless the students who cared enough to reach out to you. God help the ones who tried to skate through it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of those who didn't bother haven't bothered to work all semester. I see the continuation high school in many of their futures.

      Delete
  7. At least some were concerned enough to ask you. Maybe they are thinking of trade school or college after all and know they need some good grades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are the students who are probably college bound.

      Delete
  8. Hi Liz - I just hope they take on board the advice you're offering and realise that you're trying to help, not hinder them ... good luck all round - I think. Cheers and enjoy the Mother's Day weekend - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. These posts are interesting to me because I didn't go to a regular high school. I went to a specialized high school in New York City that had an entrance exam. It was pretty much expected students would be college bound, and some of those students were either being pushed hard by parents or pushing themselves - they would ask "will this be on the test?" and "are you grading this test on the curve?" and others would be so anxious it was almost like life and death (maybe, for them, it was. There was the Vietnam War and the draft lottery....). It was always the test. Not the learning. Of course, I'm seeing it now through the eyes of someone who graduated over 50 years ago. I can't imagine what it's like growing up now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are those who are anxious about their grades. And there are those that are not. I don't think things have changed as much as we might think. When I was in school, I was surrounded by like-minded students. We cared. I didn't have classes with those who didn't. Now, I get to see all of these classes. It's a different perspective.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.