Tuesday, May 2, 2023

A Familiar Face

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder.

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news.

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉 

First, let's presume that you're watching archival footage of some historical event. I'm not going to specify from when this happened, only that it's in the past. You were not at the event. The film/video is real. You may be watching raw footage or footage edited together for some documentary. 

What if, while watching the film/video, you see yourself up on the screen? And, what if the you on screen appeared older than you are now?

9 comments:

  1. I'd be wondering if maybe I'd had some whacky tobaccy blown my way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm bummed because it's obviously still a few years before I find that time machine...

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I closed my mouth I would start by wanting to know HOW!! And then WHY I appeared older than I am....which by the way, would be OLD.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't freak out - but I certainly would wonder if that person was somehow related to me. I saw a picture of my mother once when she was young and she looked so much like me that I would have thought it was me, except that the clothes she was wearing were from a totally different era.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I probably wouldn't recognize myself. How ever I have seen people on the internet that look astonishingly similar to people I know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd probably just think, "Wow, that looks like me!" Or think maybe she was a ancestor of mine. I already look "older" so if I were younger and saw an "older me," I might not recognize it as "me." I once had a customer who thought I could be her older sister, was quite insistent we looks so much alike. I didn't see myself in her at all! I took it as a compliment though, as she was attractive! Although, being the "older" sister... not so sure.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have been mistaken for someone else a couple of times before so I guess I would probably think that the person merely looks like me! My doppelganger from a different time?

    I love your What If posts, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.