Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Corporate Espionage

With Ms. A's return from maternity leave, I am now back to day-to-day subbing.

Tuesday. Biology. The end of the semester is less than a month away, so the biology classes were assigned their end of the year project. 

In groups of up to three, they were to "create" an eco-friendly product/company. They will present this product to the class à la Shark Tank for their final.

They were given videos to watch. They were given a template to use as a "business plan". They were to come up with a company name and slogan. 

(One girl didn't know what a slogan was. I asked her to name a fast food restaurant. She chose In-N-Out. I said, "That's what a hamburger's all about," and she understood.) 

But, freshmen. And freshmen do what freshmen do.

Sixth period. Two groups of boys were seated almost next to each other. And they were suspicious of one another.

See, some of the kiddos were asking various groups what product they'd come up with. They were looking for ideas. (I threw a few out there to help.) But boy group one thought boy group two was stealing their idea.

Some assignments the kiddos can copy. I've got to be careful during tests for that reason. But a project like this? Even if the two groups came up with the same product, their presentations would be completely different. They'd have to be. 

Still, boy group one was sure boy group two was after their idea. And then boy group two claimed that boy group one was going to steal their idea. 

(One of the boys in group one compared it to McDonalds and Burger King. I pointed out that those are totally different companies. He seemed to think that Burger King copied McDonalds, and I had to try to explain that that's not how that works. Sigh.)

What was this big idea that each claimed the other was stealing? Um, well, I didn't hear it. I'm pretty sure they didn't actually come up with any idea at all.

They've got two and a half weeks to come up with something. Let's hope they don't get so wrapped up in worrying about having their idea stolen that they don't come up with any idea at all.

12 comments:

  1. Oh boy, kid drama, its tiriing! But somehow cute, that that's what they have to worry about still. Little stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Freshmen. They'll make drama out of anything.

      Delete
  2. Sounds more mature than most corporations, really.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thecontemplativecat here. Are there any bets on who will complete this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of them were doing an excellent job. Those two groups of boys, however...

      Delete
  4. They can have my idea for an AI Mom. I just posted about :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly, this was last week. I would have thrown it out there, though. Someone might have had fun with it.

      Delete
  5. I hope you get to find out what they "invent." It should be interesting! I hope they remember it's eco-friendly for biology class, and not some out there idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard a few of their ideas. Nothing all that interesting, really.

      Delete
  6. Actually, I always thought Burger Cringe took their idea from McRaunchies. It will be interesting what they come up with. This is Birgit

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The thing I linked to is a TV show talking about the rivalry between the companies. Burger King came after McDonalds. It's interesting, truly.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.