Thursday, May 18, 2023

A Surprising Reputation

Thursday. Second period. I was back at the continuation high school for the first time since March. 

It was a pretty typical class for this teacher. He teaches social studies, so the class is a mix of world geography, world history, U.S. history, and government. I have covered this class many, many times. 

There was one group near the back who were having some random conversations, but mostly the class was working (or appearing to work). They all have different online assignments, but some get so sucked into their phones. 

Towards the end of the period, one of the students asked me if I had subbed at one of the other high schools in the district. The continuation high school is where the students from all the district's high schools end up if they are deficient in credits and in danger of not graduating. When they first get to the school, they all recognize me from when I subbed their "home" school. 

So, of course I had subbed at this student's "home" school. 

The boy remembered me. He then told me that the students were scared of me. 

The boy explained that when he had me in class, one of the other students had told him that I was a strict sub and that I would kick misbehaving students out of class. 

I had no idea. 

I mean, I don't often send students out. I don't have to. 

Most days I feel like a pushover. I feel like I'm letting them get away with so much. But then again, most days they're doing what they need to do and aren't being a problem, so there's no need for me to get on their cases. 

So, to hear that students fear me? I'm dubious. 

But still, it was a nice thing for him to say. 

11 comments:

  1. One time, when I worked in an office around 30 years ago, I had a disagreement with a coworker and she said that I acted like I was better than everyone. In my mind I felt like such a wallflower with no confidence. We don't always know how people perceive us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. As a sub? Feared. Loved is great, but that works way better for the full time staff.

      Delete
  3. It is good to HAVE that reputation.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure the student was exaggerating. Their definition of strict also probably includes "will kick students out for throwing chairs".

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is interesting how we perceive ourselves vs. how others perceive us. Remembering how subs were treated in some of my classes, I think I would pick fear over love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a sub, definitely. Apparently, I am strict enough. That's a relief.

      Delete
  6. AWESOME! Although he must not fear you too much or he wouldn't have said it to your face. That's a good rep to have if you're a sub.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. Of course, the continuation high school is a bit more laid back in certain ways.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.