Friday, May 26, 2023

Flushed

Thursday. I was back at the alternative education center (the place where Austin was throwing chairs). 

At the start of the day, every student is checked in. They turn in their cell phones. Security waves a wand over them to check for weapons. They remove their shoes and show they're not smuggling something in. And they turn out their pockets. 

Jaron was sporting a backpack. 

The students don't really bring stuff to school. Mr. T immediately mentioned the backpack. Jaron pulled out a gallon jug of water. As there was nothing else in the backpack, Jaron shoved the empty backpack into his drawer. (The students each have a drawer where their cell phones and other items live until they leave for the day.) 

Jaron explained that he had to drink that full gallon of water that day.

Mr. T understood. "Drug test?"

Jaron confirmed. 

I had Jaron in third period. He had the water with him, The jug was about half empty. 

(They can bring in outside drinks/water so long as they're still factory sealed. Same with food.)

Unsurprisingly, Jaron needed to use the restroom during class. 

Later, security poked his head in the door. He motioned to Jaron. It was time for his drug test. 

I guess the test is quick, as when Jaron returned, he was relieved. He had passed the drug test. 

I wonder. Was it the water that did it? Or, knowing that he had a drug test coming up, did Jaron lay off with enough time to pee clean? I didn't ask. 

16 comments:

  1. Wow, how things have changed. My memories from school seem so idyllic by comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it was the water that pulled him through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad that they have to be drug tested.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost this entire post is sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The only time I every I had a drug test was on a job.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well good for him to get a clean test.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping the flush was more paranoia than need, but...

      Delete
  7. Okay, working for the TBI, I should know this stuff but I really did not work in that area, but I think drugs or at least pot stays with you for about 30 days. No clue if he beat the system, cause I really don't know how that works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rather think the water thing wouldn't work, but who knows?

      Delete
  8. Wow re: drug testing the Ss. And glad all went well at the alternative ed center for you.
    Hope you're enjoying a long weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only at that school. Mostly because these kiddos have demonstrated that there's a need.

      Delete
  9. What a tough enviornment for all. YOu must need to take your vitamins to gear up for working there. I don't believe I could, but am glad there are people like you who can. I wonder how many of these kids are able to lead a good life vs having continual troubles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure some of them turn it around. Not all, but some.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.