Friday, May 5, 2023

Busted

Friday. I got the dreaded email: could I cover an extra period? Deep sigh...

I ended up in the band class. Luckily, it wasn't too far from the English classroom where I've been, and while the class was huge, this is the sort of elective that kiddos choose, so they tend not to fight me on things.

As is my habit, before I left "my" classroom, I called the office to ask them to send someone to unlock the other classroom's door. (Someone means security.) Then I made the trek over.

I found a huge group of students. Waiting patiently. The bell rang...

We were still waiting. 

I was debating going to the choir room next door to call again when I spied the school's principal walking towards us. I knew he had a key.

Mr. L looked out over the group of students. "Mr. V couldn't make it in today? After the jazz band concert last night? Yet many of you were there and you made it in today. How many of you were at the concert last night?"

Several students raised their hands. 

"You all made it in today..."

Mr. L's tone was light, but he was definitely not happy. 

I'm glad I'm not the one in trouble. 

(Now, all sorts of things could have happened. There could be a true emergency. People fall ill all the time. I have no idea why the band teacher was out, but he called out when two other teachers were also not covered, so the absence was noticed.)

18 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Nope, not after a band event the night before.

      Delete
  2. Yes, there are reasons, and I wonder what reason he gave when he called in lol.....But, from someone that suffers from a chronic pain is I can say, it could be anything. Sort of surprised the P voiced that comment in front of students.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't have to give a reason when they call in. They can do it via computer. And they can always use an undisclosed reason.

      Delete
  3. Well, yes, there could be some unforeseen emergency. But good see many kids could make it, and so too you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to be cynical, so, yes, I'm thinking he didn't feel like coming in that day.
    Of course, like you said, it could all be legit, but...impressions...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm cynical, too. I put the caveat just to be safe, because I could totally be wrong (wouldn't be the first time--see next week's Friday post).

      Delete
  5. So good that you are not in trouble

    ReplyDelete
  6. Where I live in Australia, legally we only have to say that we are calling in sick and the Principal (or whatever member of staff you call in to, sometime the Deputy or AP, or HT Admin are all common) and not allowed to ask details past that you are sick. A staff absence like that might be quietly side eyed, but a comment like that would be deemed highly unprofessional, and would absolutely be grounds for a discussion with the appropriate teachers union (we have two in my state, one for public school teachers and one for independent school teachers).

    Once you are on your third day in a row, you need a medical certificate, which you don't even need to go to the doctor for anymore, a lot of chemists can do them as well.

    Unless the principal here was actually genuinely joking (and the kids AND the staff member away had that kind of relationship with him) I am actually pretty horrified by this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can understand that. They don't have to explain beyond saying that they're sick here, and they also have "unchallenged" days where they don't even have to say they're sick.

      Delete
  7. At times you need to call in. For your own relaxation and stress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. He certainly sounds like he jumped right to judging the absence! Like if the students could come in the day after a concert, surely the teacher could. Which really has nothing to do with it. Unless it was a late, exhausting night!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have no idea. It probably was. The teacher always has more to do than the students.

      Delete
  9. It seems kind of in appropriate for the principal to call out the teacher in front of the kids like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never even considered that, but that seems to be the consensus of the comments.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.