Tuesday, June 11, 2024

No (Legal) Cure

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Since I've been down with a cold for the past couple weeks...

What if you got sick, but the only treatment for it was illegal?

(I kind of cribbed this one from Star Trek: Picard. While it wasn't a major plot point, it was an important detail in season 1. Then again, it was kind of critical.) 

11 comments:

  1. Turning without a blinker is illegal, passing in the wrong lane is illegal, running red lights is illegal......I don't mind being rebellious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This fully depends on how sick. Miserable sick, absolutely be ok with it. I would cave.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What does legal mean if you don't exist?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Illegal, but what penalty? And who would be affected? I mean, if I’m going to wind up in jail, in solitary confinement … maybe it’s not worth it. If the person who helps me get the illegal treatment winds up in jail … no, my kids aren’t going to ruin their lives like that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh. Hard one. I agree, it depends on just how sick one is. I wouldn't do it. Life has an ending, and this would be fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What pops to my mind is what is happening in some states right now. To save a woman's life an illegal action must be taken. Even with the consequences. Some religions forbid some treatments, so illegal to them. No right or wrongs with our health I don't think. Maybe I can imagine the illegal treatment has experimental uses going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read about certain forms of seizures only being treatable with a substance now legal in your state and mine but once illegal everywhere. If it was my child, I wouldn't care if it was illegal, if evidence based science had proven the illegal substance worked.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In s heartbeat! If it would benefit me or my family/friends, I would do this without question.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd absolutely take it, illegal be darned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’d weigh the severity and risks carefully. If it meant survival, I might consider it despite the legal implications. It’s a tough ethical choice with real consequences to ponder deeply.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.