Friday, October 28, 2022

Fail Percentage

It was my last day in the success seminar for Mrs. B. As they did about every two weeks, it was the day they were to check in on their goals. And part of this assignment had them checking their grades and calculating their GPA. 

Eighth period. I gave them the same instructions I had been giving all day. This included, "And at this point, no one should answer 'idk' for the GPA. If you don't know how to calculate your GPA, ask me."

As the rest of the class got started, Soleil wailed. "I don't want to look at my grades. I don't want to see my Fs."

Soleil has spent the entire four weeks doing what she wants in class. She spent a couple days watching inappropriate TV shows. She did not listen when I gave direct instruction. It was as if I wasn't there at all. 

But now? Now she cares? 

Ugh.

Part of the assignment was to calculate the "fail percentage" for the various "teams" in class. Soleil had four Fs. 

Yes, she eventually did look at her grades. And she whined about how many classes she was failing. 

I reminded her that it was not too late to improve her grades. We're only about halfway through the semester. If she would do her work and turn it in, her grades would improve. If she asked her teachers to let her make up missing assignments, her grades would improve. The whole point of success seminar is to help improve grades, and that includes giving her a time and place to work on missing assignments. 

So, Soleil did one assignment for another class. (Her grade in success seminar is a B.) 

Hey, that's progress.

I have a feeling I'll be seeing her at the continuation high school soon enough, though. I hope she proves me wrong.

13 comments:

  1. I sense a celebration in your life tonight. As for Soleil, no, I won't be surprised if you blog about her again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week. I've been out of that class for a week now. (I post about the prior week here on the blog.) And it was more of a relaxation, less a celebration.

      Delete
  2. So, she's capable, just not motivated. That's a hard one. At least she has time to turn it around, and knows part of it's missing assignments. It's like students just don't think even a little bit ahead and realize they won't graduate on time. Not graduating with one's classmates used to matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the big issue with teens. They don't think ahead. And some of them have to fail big time before they get the motivation to turn it around and get their work done.

      Delete
  3. Until she finds something to motivate her, she’s going to continue to see those F’s

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. I wonder what will finally get through to her.

      Delete
  4. Doing well in school in itself is just not a motivation for some people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Uh oh, I did nothing but goof off in school, but I can't face that I am getting F's? Ok. Cause and effect hasn't sunk in yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has not. She needs to figure it out soon, though.

      Delete
  6. Well, she seems motivated to improve her grades... I hope you will see her again too soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations for getting though the assignment, Liz. That was a tough one. Hope you treat yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with songbird's crazy world - Soleil needs motivation.
    I also think that kids these days have too many distractions and false promises of making it big without the need of academic qualifications.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That's really good ... Glad your words of encouragement worked, and she did well. Hope she continues to do well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.