Thursday, December 29, 2022

2022 in 13 Posts

I did this for the first time in 2020, and I liked it so much I repeated it in 2021. I guess it's an annual event now.

For this week's Thursday 13, the last one of the year, I'm listing 13 posts from this year. I wouldn't call these the best posts. It's more of a retrospective of the year told in links. It's my blog year in review. In order of posting:

1January 27th: Disappointing Via Email

My year began in Ms. S's special ed class for young adults at the adult transition center (Ms. S suddenly retired in October 2021). January was when that Covid surge hit, and our outings got canceled, which I got to communicate to Pizza via email as he was out recovering from his Covid booster.

2February 17th: The Shrine

In February, I was back to day-to-day subbing. The 10th grade AP world history students were taking a test, and they had a ritual for test days. They set up a shrine in the classroom.

3March 16th: The Streaker

My day-to-day subbing was short-lived as another teacher at the adult transition center decided to retire at the end of February, and I covered that class until the end of the school year. This class was decidedly more challenging, typified by this post about Doris and her bathroom issues.

4April 14th: Leaky & April 15th: Molar, Cracked

This might be cheating, but these both happened at the same time. I just broke them down into two posts. I had to go to the dentist for another cracked tooth the day after there was a water emergency at home, so I stayed in a hotel overnight. 

5May 26th: Paper Airplanes and the Substitute Teacher

We did have some fun in that class at the adult transition center. They had never made paper airplanes. I thought it was time they learned how.

6June 13th: Happy Birthday, Niece

On my niece's 21st birthday, I posted pics of the tank top I knit her. (She chose it.) It seems like I didn't do too much knitting/crocheting this year, but I did manage to complete this project.

7July 6th: Illustrating the Lesson

After a crazy busy school year, I agreed to teach a summer school class. I learned how to post gifs to Google Slides. I think I enjoyed these more than the kiddos did.

8August 18th: The Soft Opening

And then the new school year began.

9September 5th: And Then It Was Done

This was my big project of the year: a unicorn hat. This was the post where I showed off the finished object. 


10September 15th: The Sandwich Incident & September 16th: The Mommy Option

Again, cheating, but again, this is one story told over two blog posts. Colton fought me on eating in class. I emailed his mother. His mother took his punishment to a whole 'nother level. (I wouldn't normally follow up like this, but I was covering the chemistry class for three weeks.) 

11. October 13th: The Visitor

After finishing in the chemistry class, I took a month covering a class called success seminar. It did not go well. Having a student who was not enrolled in the class did not help matters.

12November 10th: About Time

The schools got nifty new clocks. The bells are synched. This should be a good thing. But, of course, the kiddos have found the bugs in the system.

13December 2nd: Watch Out

In which a student throws chairs. Yes. Chairs. In the classroom. 

I feel like I'm leaving so much out. But this gives the gist of the year. How was your 2022?

15 comments:

  1. Well, the School Year sure Ended on an Animated Note, that's for sure! The Throwing of Chairs... well... some people's Kids...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite an eventful year. The unicorn hat may be the best part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That a nice job of knitting, for sure. School sounds like a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting year. Seems so much shorter to see your condensement of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, going through the various months, it's like, "is that all there was?"

      Delete
  5. Liz, you are an amazing woman. Yes, you are. Cheers to you, and may 2023 be a great subbing year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favorite of these is The Shrine. I asked my son about John Green, and now know more about him and his brother than I care too! I've actually watched some of their podcasts. No, I guess you listen to a podcast, I guess I've watched their YouTube videos. Happy New Year. Hope you're feeling better, and testing negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't not include "The Shrine". That still cracks me up.

      As of yesterday I'm still Covid positive, but I no longer feel like I'm sick. Now it's just a waiting game.

      Delete
  7. Throwing chairs jumped out at me. I have been doing a Rear View Review like this for year, but not even as a Thirteen Thursday, good idea. Here's mine: https://looseleafnotes.com/2022/12/2022-the-rearview-review/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the throwing of the chairs jumped out at me, too ;) I couldn't not include that ridiculousness.

      Delete
  8. First of all, this is a great idea for a TT. I may steal it! Second, as one who has spent more than her share of time in the dentist's chair in 2022, I was drawn to Molar Cracked. Happy, healthy new year to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had two molars break in two years. Hopefully that's the end of my dental misadventures.

      Delete
  9. A shrine no less...well why not. I have to think about my year but I found a new job and I like it. I got paid compliments in Nov. For my performance. I stalled in card making as the scrapbook took over and is still not finished. Health issues but found out I was so tired due to low B12. I have to adhere to FOBMAPS for a diet. Doing my best to enjoy life and loving our big new lug Harley after losing our pre ious Wallace and Lucy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a good sum up for your year. Amazing we made it to the end, isn't it?

      Delete
  10. As 2022 seems to have been shocker for everyone, that you got some projects finished is a win! All the best for 2023 :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.