Monday, December 19, 2022

My First

Have I ever shown you the first sweater I ever knit? I don't think I've ever posted it here.

It was the late '90s. I found the pattern in a magazine. It was about my speed, so I attempted it. And it came out pretty well.

This was not my first project. I had made slippers and hats and scarves before this. But I hadn't attempted a sweater.

No, that's not true. I just remembered my first sweater attempt. It was a fail. I misread the pattern, and I never could figure it out. This was before the internet. My great-grandmother was still alive, so I could have just asked her, but I was 17 and asking for help was not in my vocabulary. 

I still have that pattern someplace. I might just have to try it again. I know now what I did wrong then, so I could totally do it.

I knew I wanted a cardigan. And I knew how to do cables. Since then, I have used the moss stitch and the reverse single crochet many times. This is where I was introduced to them.

I hadn't thought of this sweater in some time. But, it's gotten a bit chilly as of late, and I went into my closet looking for something warm to put on, and I found it.

And, I really didn't have anything else yarn-y to talk about today, so here's a glimpse into the way-back files. 

It still fits. And I've pulled it out about three or four times in the last week. Stay warm, everyone.

9 comments:

  1. I like it! I'd be wearing it right now, it's so cold even with the heaters on. Nice for a first sweater. I could never knit. Two needles did me in, I was used to one crochet hook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can crochet a sweater, too. Some people do better with one craft or the other but not both.

      Delete
  2. Wow, it came out nice, and it's held up well over the years. Though I'm surprised you ever have occasion to wear it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's great for a first attempt at 17. And it has certainly survived the test of time. We are finally looking like getting warm for Christmas!! I am very excited as so far December has been the coldest on record... not what we want for the first month of summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great first sweater. And the color goes with about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I crocheted several sweaters in my lifetime, a couple for me and a couple for my husband. I think I still have one of them because I barely wore it (it was too small on me but it might fit now). Your first effort looks better than anything I ever made. I used to fearlessly plunge into patterns - not any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's nothing wrong with fearlessly plunging into patterns. We should do that more often. We have the internet to turn to now if we don't know how to do something.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I'm sorry you didn't ask your great grandmother for help. I imagine it might have given you great memories. Or not... My great aunt gave up trying to teach me how to knit. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I didn't realize what I didn't know, so I don't know if she would have been able to help me as much. I don't truly regret not asking her. She did teach me how to actually knit, so it was a win in the long run.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.