Friday, December 9, 2022

The Sketch Notes

Eighth grade English. 

Some days, the classes actually do work. This was one of those days. 

(I mean, seriously, I had silent classes. Silent. I don't know what magic Ms. N works on those kiddos, but it's got to be something, as I've met many of them in other classes, and they don't behave like this there.) 

We were doing a "first read" on a poem. "Mother to Son" by Langston Hughes.

As part of the first read, they were to make sketch notes

I just follow lesson plans. I had never heard of this sketch notes thing. Some of the students questioned it too, but there were examples on the board, and they realized that they had done this thing before.

Apparently, sketch notes are a thing where they draw pictures and write out quotes and things as "notes". 

We never did anything fun like this when I was in school. Of course, many of them didn't find it fun. Many of them couldn't get their heads around a "crystal stair". 

As it was a first read, I know that Ms. N will spend more time on the poem with them so they'll understand it more. But that will be something that happens on a day I'm not there.

10 comments:

  1. Oh I never get poetry. I clicked the link you had and I have no idea what I read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like fun! I’m impressed that the kids are introduced to Langston Hughes. I didn’t learn about him and his poetry until my 3rd year in college a thousand years ago. I’m glad things have changed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz - what a fascinating poem ... interesting - I'll be back to read it through properly - now I've grasped crystal stair. But kids are obviously absorbing something with this class - Ms N seems to be a great teacher ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love poetry. I would have loved that assignment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a great poem. They really do go through these poems. I once did one with a 6th grade class, so they should be familiar with this type of thing.

      Delete
  5. Sketchnoting is something we do a lot with adults (even if I'm not good at it, they do!). Fun to do this with kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. HAHA....was with you on that statement about never doing anything like that in school. Although, if I was to think back I might remember some fun times in school. I do remember one, my second yr in art, we were macraming and since I was doing this really large piece we were allowed to go in the hall and stretch it all the way down the hall to get it straightened out before starting to work on it....I know, that is not a lot of fun but what can I say...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things have definitely changed since we were in school. Kids nowadays would have no idea what macramé is. (Yesterday a teacher brought up jazzercise, and a kiddo said, "They did that in the '70s..." I full on called him child when I corrected him.)

      Delete
  7. Sounds like fun! We never did anything like this when I was in school.
    Have a great week ahead, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poetry is difficult for me. I can't understand most of them. I looked up "Mother to Son". Looks like it's a famous one. I will read and try to understand it. Thanks for introducing me to it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.