Thursday, December 22, 2022

Pajama Days

Yup, believe it or not, we have school today. But it is the last day before the winter break. As it is my habit to write about the prior week, I will save the events from this week for after the break. Next week I'll go on my vacation schedule.

All of the schools I was at last week did "spirit weeks". But, as they are different schools, their dress up days weren't in the same order, although they did pretty much the same thing.

As a sub, I don't always know about these things in advance. I showed up to "red and green day" wearing purple and brown. But spirit days don't enjoy 100% participation, so I'm rarely alone in not participating. 

Lately, the most popular dress up day is pajama day. 

Wednesday, I was at a middle school. Pajama day. And about a third of each class were in their pajamas. There was even a kiddo in a robe and slippers with his pajamas. (They usually wear sneakers on their feet, and they don't usually come in their robes.) 

Some teachers even wore their pajamas. I mean, if I had known about it in advance... Nah. I don't have a decent pair of pajamas to wear in public. Not happening. (I actually wore my seven-and-a-half-year cardi.) 

The next day, Thursday, I was at the continuation high school. And what day was it? Yup, pajama day. 

Dress up days are far less popular at the continuation high school, but a few of them did come to school comfortable. Mostly the student leadership (the ones who set up the week). 

Me? Again, I wouldn't have dressed up even if I knew about it. 

Although, I have the perfect Santa hat for hat day. Alas, that was not the day I was at any of the schools. And I was at one of the schools for ugly sweater day, but I do not own any ugly Christmas sweaters (nor do I have any intention of acquiring one). 

This is one of the downsides to not having one school site I work at. Or, rather, this is one of the upsides. 

14 comments:

  1. I would see where it would be hard to know the DRESS for the day when you are at a diff school each day. Santa hats are great. I only put out about ten of mine. Then I realized that I had more. I did not venture back to the basement to locate what Christmas box they are in to bring them up! I have a pretty good collection of them. I have not even put one on this yr. Having a rough time feeling the Christmas spirit. But I have noticed that in the stores when I could locate the Santa hates, they were one or maybe two designs. Not a bunch to choose from. Basically, the basic red and white Santa hat. I want DIFFERENT....maybe next yr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen different colors. I've never bought one, but I've seen them.

      Delete
  2. I think my son's spirit days involved decades i.e. dress up for the 1970's or 1980's, that kind of thing. I remember him one year trying to hunt down a big boombox for 70's day. If I was working in multiple locations I don't think I would have tried to keep track of their spirit events, and pajama day would be a no for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We did decade days, pretty much only the '50s. Now they have crazy sock days or twin days or sports team days.

      Delete
  3. I remember spirit days. Kind of. I really checked out mentally for those kinds of things. I do know there was no pajama day, though. A teacher said once it was because some people slept naked, which, like, then don't participate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely upside in my book! Have a wonderful break, Liz. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been noticing a lot of kids wearing pajamas lately. Every day. Is that normal attire now?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz - just enjoy your break away from the mayhem of life ... take care and have a merry time - cheers and Merry Christmas - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would not want to purchase an ugly sweater either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I toy with the idea of knitting myself one, but buying... Nope.

      Delete
  8. I would totally be on the "upside" of not being at a particular school. At least you have a valid reason for not participating.

    ReplyDelete
  9. 'Spirit' week always struck me as tedious. But I don't recall not being allowed to participate. Hmmm... Enjoy what up sides you can. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm allowed to participate. I just don't always know about the days in advance.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.