Friday, December 23, 2022

That's Not the Math Assignment

The class was called "math support and enrichment". Officially it's an extra period of math for students who are struggling so they can get some extra help.

In practice it's a class of the worst behaved students who really don't want to be there. 

The following week was finals. They had the period to do some studying. Did they? Of course not.

"Could you sign something for me?"

I couldn't imagine what the boy needed me to sign. He handed me the page.

After a quick scan, I got the gist. It was the assignment from his health class. He was to interview an adult in his life, and the signature was the proof that the interview had taken place. 

The boy was going to fill out what he needed to fill out, but he needed an adult to sign off. It was due that same day. 

It was one of those "a lack of planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part" type of situations. 

I pointed out that he was supposed to interview someone. He asked if he could interview me.

No. Absolutely not. 

I already had my hands full with the class. One girl was yelling at just about everyone in class. They were picking on her. Then a group of boys was doing something on social media. And that was along with the other misbehaviors that I was just trying to keep a lid on.

But that's not the main reason I wasn't going to consent to an interview.

It's the end of the semester. The health classes are in their last unit. The sex ed unit. 

There's no way that goes any way but sideways.

(It was quite the treat to listen as the boy and another girl in the class went over material for the class. They mispronounced chlamydia and syphilis.)

13 comments:

  1. Happy that your seasoned teacher instincts kicked in! Happy holidays to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember the titters in a college health class when we got to the sex ed stuff. 14-year-olds don't have a chance.

      Delete
  2. That was like dodging a train coming right at you. It's hard to miss what a disaster that would be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the assignment wasn't supposed to be completed for the last unit! That would be awkward for any adult to be interviewed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was supposed to find a family member or close friend of the family to interview. I'm sure the questions were reasonable considering his age and the relationship he should have with the person he's interviewing.

      Delete
  4. Whatever happens to all these kids, once they leave school, I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do just fine. And some... The other day I overheard the office staff getting a transcript request from a former student. From a correctional facility.

      Delete
  5. Sadly, you don't need to be able to pronounce it to catch it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. To me it sound pretty sad.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope their conversation gave you some amusement in an otherwise tough class.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.