Thursday, December 15, 2022

Reprieve

"Did you ever find out who was throwing the chairs?"

After the last time, you would think that I would avoid the alternative education center, right? Nope. I'm stupid that way. 

Someone said the above behind me as I was letting myself into the classroom at the start of first period. I did not see who asked it, but I suspect it was Austin. 

On this day I was covering the English class. (I covered this class before. A couple times. The current teacher of the class is Mr. B. Mrs. B was the teacher of the success seminar class that I covered for a month in October. Yes, they're married to each other.)

First and second periods went pretty smoothly. But I was dreading third as that's when Austin had the class. 

Before third period is snack. The students sit outside and eat. There are basketball hoops, so some will occupy themselves that way.

Some of them get into fights.

At the high school level, the kiddos mock fight all the time. They start slapping at each other, or they throw punches that look kind of real. We've learned to ignore that. 

So, when two boys started throwing punches, it was a couple seconds before anyone realized this was an actual fight. (The rest of the boys helpfully didn't start chanting, "Fight, fight!" which usually lets us know right away an actual fight is happening.) 

Security jumped right in. He pulled one boy away. Mr. T distracted the other boy, immediately taking him to the office. 

And that was about the time to start third period, so the other students got shooed into class.

I got class started and took roll. Guess who I did not have to deal with as he instigated the fight and was now in the office? Yup, I was spared another go-around with Austin. Yay!

The other boy returned to class about halfway through. 

The other students were happy Austin wasn't in class. He annoys them, too. 

They informed me that Austin hadn't been in school since I was last there. Apparently, he had been suspended. (I checked the online attendance. He had been suspended, and then he took about a week "off" as those days he was marked truant.) 

And it looks like he was suspended again. Although, as I'm not scheduled to be there, I won't know the difference.

I had reasonable classes the rest of the day, too. What a difference one student makes.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - it's certainly 'interesting' where you work! They're lucky to have you as a sub ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. So Austin wasn't in class and no chairs were thrown? What an astonishing coincidence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel sorry for Austin, he has no idea what his future holds if he can't straighten up. Do you find the boys fight more than the girls? I did my library science work experience in a juvenile hall library (part of the county system), and I only was witness to the girls fighting. They were always on edge. I was there and had to lock myself in their little library room (there was an actual library with a librarian, and each unit had their own shelves of books), and even then the pepper spray seeped in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My actual fights-in-class experience is girls only. For some reason I don't usually see the boys fighting.

      Delete
  4. I recall an actual fight when I was in high school--there weren't many, fortunately. And I happened to be on year book staff that year, so I took a picture of the two boys fighting and put it in the year book. I still don't know how that was allowed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would assume your advisor didn't look too closely at your pages. Cool that that slipped by them.

      Delete
  5. I feel a bit sorry for Austin too, he does not seem to have bright future ahead of him, but who knows. Maybe school is not for him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's got issues. I only hope that he deals with them. The school has more supports than the traditional schools, so the help is there if he would avail himself of it.

      Delete
  6. Looks like Austin has issues he has to deal with. I feel sorry for him.

    Hugs and blessings, Liz 💐

    ReplyDelete
  7. I feel for all of you and hope the best for his family and his future.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.