Friday, September 30, 2022

Coming Attractions

Tuesday was my last day in the chemistry class. I was asked to cover an extra period. (This is typical, so I didn't think too much of it.)

But, as luck would have it, I was asked to cover Mrs. B's Success Seminar. And I was most curious to see what the class is like.

Starting the following Monday (this week's Monday as you're reading this), Mrs. B is taking four weeks off, and guess who agreed to cover? 

And... I kind of regret my choice.

The success seminar class was created to help students be successful academically, emotionally, and socially. So, basically students who are in danger of ending up at the continuation high school were selected for this new class. 

It's a good idea. But it means that I'll have way more blog fodder for the next month. 

As I found out covering fourth period. 

While we were waiting for security to open the door for us, Louise bellowed loudly. "Mrs. B said she'd be out next week. I guess we're starting early."

And then when we got into class, Louise loudly complained about the school, the day, and just life in general. I tried to calm her down.

"Louise," I began.

"How do you know my name?!"

I skipped over my usual response, seating chart, as that didn't convey that while I was reminded of her name via the seating chart, I did remember her telling me her name elsewhere. "Ceramics," I said.

And then there was Austin. Yes, Austin from Wednesday's post. He made sure to make an impression, sitting in not his assigned seat and loudly refusing to go to his assigned seat. And then he had three different reasons he had to leave class. 

The rest of the students weren't much better, many of them refusing to do the assignment. What was the assignment? They were setting goals for the next two weeks.

It's going to be a long month.

Although, I sincerely hope that period four was just the difficult period. And that things will go better when I'm not scrambling to figure out the lesson plans on the fly while covering an extra period. 

Mrs. B returned before the end of the period. She was not happy at the behavior of the class. 

Wish me luck.

25 comments:

  1. When my daughter was in high school (although she left and took the CHSPE) freshmen were required (with exceptions) to take a class on success. Maybe doing it when they are already unsuccessful is too late. They sound like a challenge. They sound like the don't really care, and in that case won't get anything out of a class they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's the problem. It would be nice if they had room in their schedule for everyone to take it, like in middle school, where it could do the most good. But, alas, there are other priorities, so it kind of gets shoehorned into English.

      Delete
  2. I read two blogs written by teachers or substitutes and it sounds like kids these days are outrageous . I don't remember it being that way when I was a kid. We would not get away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been subbing 20 years, and some things are better and some things are worse. It's just that we were relatively good students and didn't end up with the difficult populations. As a sub, I see more of the difficult populations.

      Delete
  3. You’re going to have a lot of “fun” aren’t you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my... Just today alone... I think I can make three blog posts just from the crazy of today. But that leaves out Monday-Thursday.

      Delete
  4. Do they want to end up burger flippiing or homeless or in a parents basement, or can't they make the connection?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They don't make the connection. Although, I doubt they'd last long burger flipping. That takes more dedication than they show.

      Delete
  5. Eek. That sounds like it's going to be an exhausting class. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to make one co worker laugh when things got difficult and I'd say to her "that's why they call it "work"". But your work - once again, sending out admiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Like all block subs you do, I imagine as they settle into the change things will improve to some level. Let's hope it's a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some kids just love to test the limits of teachers, particularly substitutes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy, I hope you have a good supply of aspirin for your upcoming headaches. I just recently finished reading/listening to Frank McCourt's books and his 3rd one, Teacher Man had some interesting ideas to get kids attention when they complain about the lesson. Good luck, let's hope the first day was just the first day and not a normal day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty normal for them. Good news: I'm going to have topics for the blog for the next four weeks.

      Delete
  10. I took one day of chemistry and made a bealine for the office to get it off my schedule back in HS. The male teacher was such a jerk, I knew I couldn't put up with him and his inappropriate sexual remarks for the whole year. Several of us girls did that. I wish you lots of smoother days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ouch. Chemistry is a worthwhile class. I'm sad that you had to drop it. But yeah, I'm sure you would have gotten nothing out of it from that jerk.

      Delete
  11. It sounds like it will be a very tricky class to teach, good luck with it!

    Hope you had a lovely weekend :) It's a 3 day one here which is awesome.

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck though I don't think you need it. You are a great teacher, Liz.

    Have a great week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok, good luck.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  14. I wish you a lot luck, because you will need it with these moody students.

    ReplyDelete
  15. It seems you get more work with challenging students because their regular teachers need extra breaks from mental and emotional exhaustion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. B is out so she can bond with her three-month old baby. I don't know how she deals with those kiddos daily, but she seems to like it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.