Tuesday, July 30, 2024

The Big Yawn, Part 2

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Back before the A to Z Challenge in April, I posited a question about a "second coming" getting missed. And a couple of commenters mentioned something along the lines of, "If the rapture had happened, no one would have missed it."

Ah, but see, that was exactly the question. 

These are "what if?" questions posited by a writer who works in speculative fiction. While my questions don't always hit science fiction or fantasy, when they do, I'm coming at it from a wholly fictional viewpoint. Even if you know it couldn't happen, what if?

So, this time, instead of doing some amorphous "second coming", I'm going to specify the Rapture, and whatever you believe that to mean.

What if the Rapture already happened and we just... missed it?

(If you can't play along, I understand.)

8 comments:

  1. If the rapture (as the Fundamentalist Christian churches teach, a concept only 200 years old) already occurred, the foretold "tribulations" aren't so bad after all. I'm not sure how I'd miss it though (other than not being part of it), unless most of the people around town were left behind too. Apparently, according to "rapture experts," their clothing, jewelry, teeth fillings, etc. are to be left behind. Surely I'd notice that! I saw a funny photo online of clothing laid out, with a dog patiently sitting on the end of its leash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So all I can think of is the Blondie song. I must be dead if I missed a rapture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m Jewish, so clearly I’m not expecting to be raptured.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now, wouldn't it be interesting! (in Will Smith's voice.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also doubt I would be included in any rapture, for similar reasons as Songbird's, so perhaps it is possible we all missed it. I would have to think that social media users would somehow have noticed, though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have faith outside of any religion beyond a Christian upbringing and believe all are welcome. I'm quoting "Poltergeist" from 1982, by the way. :D Go toward the light!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Two shall be in the field and one shall be taken..."
    Matthew 24:40-42 King James Bible. The Catholic in me believes. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.