Thursday, July 25, 2024

13 Surprises from My Junk Drawer

Last week I listed a bunch of projects that I had worked on or was planning on working on. It was not a complete list. A couple days after completing the post, I found a "junk drawer organizer" that I had purchased months ago with the knowledge that I wouldn't be able to do anything with it until I had some time. I had some time.

I knew what was in the junk drawer. I did. I put the stuff in there myself. And yet, I was surprised by some of the crap I found. So, for today's Thursday 13, I am listing some of the surprises and some of the weird that I found while doing a bit of clearing and organizing.

1. I have an index card problem. I did not realize how bad it was until emptying the drawer. I knew I had some index cards, but I didn't realize how many. And they were everywhere. (Don't let the picture fool you. That was after I had found them all and stacked them together. They were not this neat in the drawer.)

2. I also have a post-it note problem. I had six full pads of post-it notes. 

3. And, I have a scotch tape problem. I had three full rolls plus an empty roll. Why I had an empty roll, I have no idea. It's now in the trash. (And that doesn't count the two or three tape dispensers I have in my wrapping paper nook.)

4. Mechanical pencils. I do not need this many mechanical pencils. I do not know why I bought all of them. (They are going to come to school with me next school year. I figure a week, two tops, and that will be a problem of the past.)

5. Instructions for a digital clock that I no longer have. I remember the clock. I had to have bought it in the '90s. I tossed it (after it died) years ago. Why I still have the instructions... (Those also got tossed.)

6. An old cell phone case... for my old iPhone 4... (I have an iPhone 15 today.)

7. Speaking of phones, I also found my old phone books. I haven't needed a phone book since getting a cell phone and keeping my contact list up to date.

8. A Halloween sound effects box and a Halloween flashlight. Neither work (although, that's a battery issue, I'm sure). I don't remember the last time I saw either, but it was before Covid. 

9. I have an eraser I keep in my school bag. I use it a lot. I used it up. I knew I had another, but I could not find it. So, sometime during the school year, I bought a new one. Guess what I found in the junk drawer? Yup, I knew I had another one of those erasers. Now I have four. (They come in packs of three.)

10. Three packages of crazy glue. I don't need three packages of crazy glue. And they're all sealed, so I have never used any of them. 

11. Old sunglasses...

12. Of course, there were the assorted tacks (why I need 100 tacks...), paper clips, rubber bands, etc. in every corner. And, of course, some fell on the floor while I was going through it all, so of course I stepped on a tack...

13. Random buttons. I have a button tub where I keep random buttons. So, why did I have at least a dozen in the junk drawer?

Yeah, so the drawer is organized. For the moment. You know what I did not find? Pens. I have been in Dollar Tree about once a week for months, and I have been holding back on buying pens. "You have pens at home." Nope. I now have permission to go and buy more pens. I think that's my biggest surprise. 

27 comments:

  1. Jamie here:
    Those are sure a lot of surprises! I would be surprised to find things like those in my drawers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, I put them there, so I shouldn't have been that surprised. But I was.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh please. Pretty please. Do a post on what you have. I think we'd all be pretty entertained by what you've accumulated ;)

      Delete
  3. What a clever 13 things idea!
    That's a very cool phone case.
    I don't clean out my two junk drawers often enough. What I know is there... loads of index cards and pens, since I can't resist nice "clicky" ones (I don't like the ones with caps) I find in the Goodwill bins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't either, but I had an excuse this time. I probably won't touch that drawer again for years.

      Delete
  4. I have entire 'junk' closet shelves and multiple drawers. ~shakes head~ Waaay back in 1999 I planned on clearing out one shallow closet while briefly unemployed and, well, it never happened. Thanks for the (possible) inspiration. Heh... Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You probably should break that down into way smaller steps. Like, plan to clear off one shelf at a time. When I feel overwhelmed, I find I have to scale back the idea. And then plan it through in my head before I actually tackle it.

      Delete
  5. I have two junk drawers. I sort of know what is in there but can also find surprises, especially since I live with a guy. So no surprise, really, to find nuts & bolts, a screwdriver (or 3) and things like that. Great idea for a TT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose things are more of a surprise when you don't live alone. There's another person who could contribute stuff to the junk.

      Delete
  6. Believe it or not. My Aunt who just pass away didn't have a junk drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't let junk lie around. I have ways of getting rid of what I don't want anymore and of recycling what can be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "junk" is mostly stuff I need and use (like pens, a letter opener, my car's spare key, rulers, and a three hole punch) interspersed with stuff that needed a home.

      Delete
  8. I have all that you listed and more. I am a paper and pens fanatic! I collect notebooks, pencils, erasers, …. I can go on. But they are all in assigned containers. I do not have a junk drawer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seriously, its so funny what we hold on to but its fun if you go through this stuff years later and see what you have held onto. I have a thing about notebooks, maybe I should stack them up and take a pic to see how many I have!! lol....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be quite the image for your blog :)

      Delete
  10. You faired pretty well, I think. You actually found useable things in your junk draw. I sometimes find nails or screws and wonder what they fell out of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found that, too, but I figure those are more expected things to find in the drawer.

      Delete
  11. I need to go through my drawers and purge. I don't want to really add up how many "junk drawers" I have.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We all have a junk drawer and I need to go through it again. I usually find elastics and extra tongs.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Of course you step on the tacks you spill. I step on or sit on the needles I'm using in cross stitch. Not any more tho now that I'm into my needle minders. - I'm afraid to open my junk drawer. It's like cleaning the fridge. I'll wait until something pushes it way out. Lol. J/K - Great list. I really love the Thursday 13. Thanks for sharing it. - I hope you had a good weekend Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, Thursday 13 is a great meme. Barefoot Suzie introduced me to it a few years back.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.