Monday, July 8, 2024

Surveying the Sweater

I made some progress on the eye sweater. 

If you recall, last time I had marked where the corners would go. So, putting in corners was the first order of business. Then I followed that up with another round/rectangle of variegated.

And then another "round":

That one I kind of evened out the top and accentuated the curve along the bottom. (And now that I'm really looking at this picture, I think I might have this upside down, or rather the inside is out. Oops.)

I have done this for both the front and back now:

And now I'm kind of stuck. At this point I have gone way past the reference picture (which didn't square the circle), and I'm not sure what to do next. 

Partly, I want to keep going "around", but I don't know if the sizing would be right that way. The other option is to start working the top and bottom for a bit, as that's what it looks like they did in the reference picture, but I'm not sure.

I just need to make a choice. I showed Liv the middle two pictures, and she likes it thus far. It's almost the size it needs to be. It's just a matter of creating some sort of neckline, and then I'll add sleeves. (I'm going with a boat neckline and drop sleeves, so I don't have to worry about too much more in the shaping.

This is why I like patterns. With a pattern, the choice is already made. 

Eye sweater previous posts:

32 comments:

  1. Through the eyes of the sweater, I see you! Those are cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. It’s 👀 looking good. I’m sure you’ll figure everything out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eventually. It just takes me so long to decide anything. Once I decide, it takes me one TV episode (hour long) to complete.

      Delete
  3. Even if it's a little inside-out, it's pretty! If feel like 'going around' a bit more, may be you should give it a try. Because, sometimes happy accidents lead to the coolest design elements!
    (My latest post: UK Tour 06 - Beamish Museum)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, my! Those are great! Side by side they look owlish. You could make fabulous throw pillows with those!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe she'll want pillows for Christmas ;)

      Delete
  5. It looks like a complicated design. Lisa's pillow idea sounds fun too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's beyond my skills. Good luck! When I was much younger I crocheted some sweaters. My husband actually wore the one I made for him. True love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not beyond your skills. You could totally make this.

      Delete
  7. I have a necklace with a real/fake eyeball!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm impressed that you're able to do that at all, much less without a pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm mostly following the picture. Now I've gotten to the point where I can't figure out what they did in the picture, hence my hesitation.

      Delete
  9. Wow, it's looking great. I can't wait to see the finished sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is going to be a super cool sweater, Liz!!! You're so talented!!! What kind of yarn are you using???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Acrylic--Michael's house brand. I was originally looking for a nice cotton (my family finds wool too itchy) or something, but the colorways weren't there.

      Delete
  11. This is Birgit. This looks really good. I’m certain you will figure it out and she will love the finished product

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll figure something out. I probably won't be happy with my decision, though. (That's pretty normal.)

      Delete
  12. Your sweater is coming along nicely, and I love the way you made those corners and rounds! I'm sure your decision will be the best, the tricky part for me seems done.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.